Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only realized recently that NY state has strict window tint laws with no darker than 70% for front doors and rear doors. The Escape comes with factory tinted rear doors, from what I understand, at 20%. For those of you in NY, how does this work out? Are your Escapes less tinted from factory?
I just did my fronts at 30% a few weeks ago. Does this mean I may have legal issues when visiting family and friends in NY?

·
Registered
200 Posts
dude.. you'll have legal issues where you live!

The guideline the OPP use is ANYTHING one the drives doors other than FACTORY tint.

Durham, Metro, and Peel MOSTLY use the guidline of if it obstrucuts the view of the driver at night it is illegal. They have started using the same standard as the OPP now.

There is also a possiblity that your unsurance company will deny a clain/cancel your policy if you have an accident because of an "illegal modification" to your truck.

As for visiting your friends.. you shouldn't have a problem. If they are legal where you came from they won't ticket you for it where you go.

·
Registered
574 Posts
No factory tinting will be in violation of a state or provincial law. You'll be fine with factory - look at every minivan and SUV out there - all factory tinted, at least at the back.

As far as having over-done tint, I think you will find that most jurisdictions in this area - Ontario, NY, Michigan, Quebec, etc are all similar. No NYS Trooper is going to go after an Ontario plated vehicle for tint unless it is way, way, way overdone.

If you meet the law in Ontario you'll be fine in NY.

Canadian rules by province:

http://www.courage.ca/services/autotintlaws.htm

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't realize even Quebec has a specified limit of 70% for front driver and passenger. I know Ontario doesn't specify a percentage, it's left up to the officer's discretion, although most people generally except 35% as borderline legal. So NY (and hopefully other jurisdictions where strict specifications apply) would take into consideration the legality of where you're coming from? I guess the key is to not bring any attention to yourself. :)

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Michigan has the most lenient tint laws I've ever seen... 0% on all windows except the windshield, and a four-inch strip on the top of the windshield at 0% is permitted. And people still wonder why the police have to hold their guns when they approach a car with windows tinted darker than black. :lol:

I told the place I got my tint to apply as close as the factory tint as possible on the driver and passenger-side windows. Then I found out that for Minnesota, it's illegal (50%). No one has stopped me yet though, but I did see someone get pulled over on their way out of the airport once for window tint (the police was holding some doodad with shades of black, and the Subaru's windows were definitely darker than my factory and aftermarket tint).

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Each state in the US sets its own laws for tinting the windows. I found the following site that lists each state:

http://store.northerntint.com/unsttila.html

I don't know how up to date the site is but it gives you an idea of how each state works...

·
Registered
105 Posts
ive had the windows tinted on two of my cars, my renault clio and my maverick.

the clio got stopped when my sister was driving it (young person driving a small hatch back is prone to be trouble) and they commented on the legality of the tints, luckily they got called away to another incident, i later found out they where illegal.

the maverick im not sure of percentage as my parents got the tints done as a gift but i have been told they are borderline what ever that means. If your driving like a twat then they will stop you for what ever reason, if your being a nice driver, they usually dont bother too much over here.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Over here, the law regarding window tints is nice and simple, you can have whatever you want on the windows, APART from the front windscren, and the drivers/front passenger door windows, which has to remain as stock.

But like was said above, it's unlikely you would be stopped for tints alone, unless its way over the top.

The coach I used to drive at work had 90% tint on all the windows, apart from the 3 stated above, didn't half make it dark inside...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts