Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I have a 2010 Mariner 2.5, 4WD, Base. A couple of the cables that connect from the main harness under the dashboar, to the OBD II conector are broke right where the wires go into the OBD-II conector.
what's the best way to repair them?
thank you
paul

·
Registered
174 Posts
Depends on your skill level.

Probably splicing in a replacement OBDII connector would be the most likely course of action.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
The solution mostl;y depends on the length of the wire from the connector to the break. If there is enough length to effect trimming and joining to a length of wire as an extension or the original wire, the crimped butt-joint connections can be used. There are some that not only crimp, but have built-in solder such that when you heat the butt connector, the solder flows around the crimped wires.
An extension inserted between the remains on the connector and the lead from the harness will give some room to maneuver and effect the repair.
It may be that FoMoCo offers a OBD-II connector with 'pigtail' wires, short lengths extending from the replacement connector, stripped and trimmed, ready to effect a repair. Some may come with the connector pins un-assembled, which may allow easier connection to the harness wire before insertion into the back side of the connector. Ford published a PDF of available replacement connectors in the past, sorted by number of connections.
tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi,

thank you everyone for the info. I went to a junk yard and found a OBDII connector, and cut the wires so at least now I'll go ahead and solder them.

paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts