Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have a V-6 2006 Limited with 94,000 miles on it. It very infrequently runs rough for a few seconds with some power loss. It usually happens when accelerating right after getting on the Interstate after a few miles of secondary roads. It seems to do it more often in cooler weather.

The check engine light usually does not come on when it happens, although it has done so once or twice. It went out almost immediately after the rough running abated. There are no stored codes, and the OBDII data all looks good. I wish there were codes, so I could have a clue as to what is wrong. It does not seem to be related to wet weather, as it happens wet or dry (thinking cracked COP).

My wife drives the car much more than I do, so much of what I have to go on is from her description of the episodes. She feels it is happening with greater frequency these days. I know about the DPFE issue, but as I understand it, the 2006 models do not have the same device.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I hate to just throw parts ($$$) at the problem.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I think this will be very hard to diagnose because it is so intermittent. Do you still have a warranty on it? If so, I think some dealerships have a scanner tool that they will leave on your car while you drive it, and you bring it in after the symptoms appear for you. You can also ask one of the older guys at your dealership what kind of code could clear itself that quickly while driving - I think a misfire code will stay lit at least until the next few ignition cycles.

I have symptoms similar to yours, except I know that it is a misfire (got bad enough at one time to figure it out). I have thrown new coils and new plugs at it...the new plugs "fixed" it for 99% of the time, but last week it stumbled a bit at 75 km/h. I am hoping it is just another coil that was damaged by bad plugs, but I have no way of tracking it down because there was no code and it won't reproduce.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When was the last time the plugs were changed? At the very least, pull the front 3 and see how they look. Could be a plug fouling out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's out of warranty, and the plugs are the originals. The fronts look good.

I did find something odd today after I posted. I did a routine fuel filter change, and the fuel was black. I have never seen gas look like this stuff before--ever. It was just as bad on the outlet side as the inlet side, indicating it was passing through the filter that way. The rough running problem is not new, so it isn't being caused by a single tank of bad fuel, if that's where the black came from.

I plan on running a couple of tankfulls through the new filter to see if it cleans up. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what to do next.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
That might be it. I would put a double-dose of fuel injection cleaner into the next tank, and a standard dose for the next few tanks to help clean anything in the lines or on the injectors. Here we can get more concentrated stuff that's good for five applications per bottle, which is cheaper than a 400 mL bottle for every tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts