Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 01 Tribute with a 2.0 and a 5speed (147k on the odo). The engine misfires / studders when Im driving. Only seems to do it between about 1800 and 2600 or so rpms and when there is no load on the engine. Does not happen when Im accellerating or cruising on the intersate at 2700+ rpm and it idles as smooth as glass, but when Im just cruising down the road at a steady speed between about 1800 and 2600 rpm, it misfires and studders. Push the gas and it disappears. No check engine lights either. I changed the plugs. No help. Changed the wires. No help. Ran some good quality injector cleaner though it. No change. Any thoughts on what would cause this without tripping the check engine light? Coil ??? Hate to just randomly keep replacing things like Ive started doing but I dont know what else whould cause this. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Robert

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you have a timing light, hook up each cylinder, one at a time. That should help see which one(s) of the cylinders is misfiring.

When you find a "good" cylinder (no misfire), swap the coil from that one to one that's misfiring. If the misfire stays with the cylinder, it could be the injector. If the misfire switches to the other cylinder (with the misfiring coil), then it's a bad coil.

Check your wiring harnesses as well. Sometimes a misfire could be as simple as a loose connector to an injector.

As for FI cleaners, as far as I'm concerned, most really don't have much effect. The only ones I've "heard" work are Seafoam and Berryman B12. Haven't tried them myself.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would go ahead & replace the ignition coil pack. If you do, get a Motorcraft unit.
Someone else mentioned that the auto parts store can check your ignition coil - not sure what they test.
For the price that the dealer or mechanic charges for checking it, you may as well get a new one.

Although your symptoms don't seem to be exactly the same as mine were, I had a problem w a hesistation & loss of power under brisk to heavy acceleration. At first there was no check engine light, so I did the same stuff as you - wires, plugs, etc. I did some coil checks & it tested fine, but I replaced it anyway after getting a P0304 (cylinder 4 misfire).... Problem solved.

PS: I got a Motorcraft coil pack from rockauto.com.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You may as well replace the coil pack to go along w the other new ignition parts.
Who knows, maybe it'll solve the problem & perhaps your fuel economy will improve -
mine did by ~2-3 mpg (2002 Escape 2.0L 5MT).

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
red5033 said:
Ok, I do have a timing light. I will give it a try....
That's good.Follow Four_Eyes instructions.
I only have Two_Eyes... :beer:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
When you find a "good" cylinder (no misfire), swap the coil from that one to one that's misfiring...
His 2.0L 4-cyl has a coil pack (not cops), so he can't really swap any coils around. ;) :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ooops. My bad. I was thinking V6.

Can he still swap the ignition wire at both ends? Should work out to be the same test.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a new ignition coil today. Should have by the end of the week. Appreciate all the feedback...

Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts