Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this past Friday, I was driving home from work. I shifted from 4th to 5th and the car got really lumpy. Accelerating only made the lumps/RPMs go faster. I downshifted to 4th and lumps were still there, but were real quick. I exited the freeway at the next opportunity and while waiting at the stop light, I placed it into neutral. While waiting for the light to turn green, the RPMs were fluctuating from 500-1000. Light turned green, I pulled into the first gast station, check the fluids, nothing. Turned the car back on, everything worked.

Thinking it was a bit of bad gas or possibly a computer problem, I drove my car later that night with no problems. The next morning, I woke up early, started my car with no issues, drove a little bit, then headed home. An hour or two later, started my car with no problem again and drove to a friends house. I was at my friends house for around six hours, went to leave and my car wouldn't start. Got it jumped and went on my way. That night, I went to another one of my friends houses, left my car there overnight, around 16 hours.

I went to start my car the next day, and it barely started with a little gas. Watching the gauges, the speedo and tach sat below the zero for a good minute and a half, and the anti-theft light in the lower left was blinking sporadically.

Figured that my car being two years old, I should get the battery checked. Turns out that was the problem.

It's amazing the effects a bad battery can have on a modern car. The lumpyness was new to me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's not strange.
Today's car run with computerized modules.
Once the voltage drops below a certain level, the car starts shutting down different compononents, and some cars will let you drive with very limited options ("limp mode") just to make it home or a garage. It will affect all components including the transmission (which is also electronically controlled nowadays) and will not let the car go past the 2nd gear I believe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts