Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some SOB deer leapt in front of my 2011 Tribute/Escape the other night and I caught him dead center (him and me). He hit above the bumper and took out the hood, grille, evap, radiator, and fan shroud. The radiator support is tweaked but I can pull it. The SOB probably got a few cracked ribs (I hope he's big time sore).

With no collision coverage I'm looking to put this back together as cheap as I can get away with. I lucked out and found a hood of the correct color code ($250) and I ordered a new radiator and evaporator ($140 for both), but I can't find the fan shroud. The only option I can find is a new assembly that includes fans.

So I can buy a used Ford part locally for about $80 or a Chinese (presumed) part on ebay for about the same. I don't want to spend over $250 for a new Ford part if I can help it. The variable is now reliable the fans are in the Escapes. I can say that I've never had a fan failure in any Ford I've owned for the last 20 years, so a used part might be a viable option.

Given the choice between a used Ford fan assy or a new aftermarket one, which would be a better choice?

John

· Registered
3,818 Posts
When the wife's T-bird started to get hot for no apparent reason, I found the fan blade melted to the motor shaft. Long and short is I got an ebay special for about $80 and it was/is doing fine. Name begins with a T - tyco?
I would have no problem using an aftermarket, and did not even look for used. It was enough trouble snaking it out and the new one in that I did not want to do it a second time. I figured used were more of a gamble as the brushes could be worn and no real good way to check.
When you reconnect the condenser, I would suggest using some oil on the O-rings to help them slide in without pinching.
I don't know why they(the deer) don't cross where the signs are. It would make things a lot safer for driver and deer both.
tom

· Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know why they(the deer) don't cross where the signs are. It would make things a lot safer for driver and deer both.
tom
Well, that's on me I'm afraid.. I t-boned that deer right where the sign was, and to be honest, I had seen deer in this area before (near my house). I had never even had a close call before. The horse was at full gallop when he leapt the guardrail and into the road. When I'm saying I had a fraction of a second I'm not exaggerating. Honestly, these are stupid stupid animals. Considering the size of this buck (covered the whole front of my truck and then some), he's crossed this road a hundred times, and his plan to cross the road is to play Frogger and go full tilt without looking.

Anyway, I found a local wrecking yard with a fan assy for $80. It has more miles than mine, but I'll swap my motors into the shroud and keep the others as a backup in the unlikely event one of the motors fail.

John

· Registered
287 Posts
So some SOB deer leapt in front of my 2011 Tribute/Escape the other night and I caught him dead center (him and me). He hit above the bumper and took out the hood, grille, evap, radiator, and fan shroud. The radiator support is tweaked but I can pull it. The SOB probably got a few cracked ribs (I hope he's big time sore).

With no collision coverage I'm looking to put this back together as cheap as I can get away with. I lucked out and found a hood of the correct color code ($250) and I ordered a new radiator and evaporator ($140 for both), but I can't find the fan shroud. The only option I can find is a new assembly that includes fans.

So I can buy a used Ford part locally for about $80 or a Chinese (presumed) part on ebay for about the same. I don't want to spend over $250 for a new Ford part if I can help it. The variable is now reliable the fans are in the Escapes. I can say that I've never had a fan failure in any Ford I've owned for the last 20 years, so a used part might be a viable option.

Given the choice between a used Ford fan assy or a new aftermarket one, which would be a better choice?

John
You say you don't have collision insurance, but if you have comprehensive, that should cover hitting a deer. If you only have liability, yeah, you're screwed.

Reactions: JohnCT

· Registered
11 Posts
Honestly, these are stupid stupid animals. Considering the size of this buck (covered the whole front of my truck and then some), he's crossed this road a hundred times, and his plan to cross the road is to play Frogger and go full tilt without looking.
I lived in New England for many years, and had a number of deer encounters, as did most folks I knew - Even had them run into and bounce off the SIDE of a vehicle a couple times.
When they charge blindly across the road like that, they're usually being chased by dogs, etc. - Probably not in the deer's usual routine.
Really good lights are the best defense, I think.

· Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I do have comprehensive coverage, and it does cover deer strikes.

Opinions: Allstate didn't write my evaporator coil or radiator after seeing this picture. Do I remove them and iron them out? :sneaky:

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

· Registered
3,818 Posts
SIL owns/runs a body shop, and was a insurance forget-word that looked at and estimated what needed to be done to put the customer back where they started. Currently he has adjusters (that's the word I could not find) come in, and either approve writing a full estimate or total. John uses software with all the parts listed, pictures, and labor hours to do the functions. The software will combine labor hours as appropriate.
Anyway, the adjuster will approve 'supps' based on photos John takes of hidden or added damge as it is discovered when removing pieces discloses it. He can then write a supp for the added costs. It is not a problem.
You can ask the adjuster to come back and take a look, or possibly send pics. Dunno if you are having it fixed or doing it yourself, but either way, the adjuster should make it right. Some bent condensers can be straightened w/o causing a refrigerant leak. Depending on vintage & condition, it might be better for you to evacuate, replace the condenser, and possibly take a look at the hoses AND the accumulator/receiver dryer. Depending, there can be external rust on the two that will eventually pinhole and allow leakage. Might as well replace any damaged by corrosion if they have to open it up, and then only one evacuation and replace, vacuum and re-charge would be needed, and it would be covered by insurance. Extra labor & parts for the rusted ones... justa thought. The Escapes are noted for 1)rusted accumulators and 2)broken desiccant 'bags' that allow the little granules to migrate around and clog the system....leading to a firewall-forward replacement of all the A/C components. Cannot flush the beads/granules from the compressor, condenser, accumulator, and TXV/FOT. As I understand.
tom

· Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dunno if you are having it fixed or doing it yourself, but either way, the adjuster should make it right.
I am going to repair the truck myself, but I feel that just because I'm the one doing the work doesn't mean I should be low-balled. My post was more of a sarcastic comment on how the adjuster could miss not only the evap and radiator being bent into a bowl, but the radiator support as well. One can clearly see the whole hood is shoved back 10" which means the hood latch and radiator support are back the same amount. The settlement is only for the hood and grille plus paint and materials. I suspect the adjuster is nothing of the sort, just some college kid with Alllstate's software punching in only what he can see without actually looking.

Allstate said they would do a supplement, and when I talked to the agent, she said they pretty much expected one anyway. I told her it seemed it was Allstate's plan to low-ball and hope it sticks. She had no comment.

So now I need to bring this to a body shop and have them do an estimate and and they will contact Allstate about a supplement. Because they're not getting the job, I will throw them a hundred or so because it's the right thing to do - something I shouldn't have to.

John

· Registered
3,818 Posts
As i have seen things work, Allstate should send out their adjuster once again to note the newly 'discovered' damage. A supp can be written by the adjuster at no cost to you. I think the person you are in contact with should be able to arrange that.
I may be mistaken, but I think you should not have to get estimates. I guess it can work either way. "submit 3 estimates..." or get an adjuster out to take a look. I have USAA and they employ professional adjusters for about all their claims from flooding to hail damaged cars, trucks and home roofing. You get a check based on the estimate, and pay the vendor plus the deductible and that's it.
tom

· Registered
109 Posts
OUCH!
I hit a deer once, but it was small, and just clipped his butt, and busting out the headlight; but it was a rental, and we had the insurance, so, it just cost us time, waiting for the state trooper to show up...

Good score on the hood!

If it were me, I would totally go the used/salvage route: your fans aren't new either, so, this way you get some free used ones, and save time pulling yours out to re-mount them...you can pull off 'yours', at your leisure, and have spares on the shelf.

Good luck!

· Registered
109 Posts
You say you don't have collision insurance, but if you have comprehensive, that should cover hitting a deer. If you only have liability, yeah, you're screwed.
On a 12 year-old 'consumer' class vehicle (unless it's highly customized, or maybe going to be a 'collectible' for some reason), collision insurance on the actual vehicle is just 'money down the toilet'!

· Registered
109 Posts
So I do have comprehensive coverage, and it does cover deer strikes.

Opinions: Allstate didn't write my evaporator coil or radiator after seeing this picture. Do I remove them and iron them out? :sneaky:
Obviously, there has to be room for the fan/shroud assembly!
You could try to wrestle them flat, but quite likely they will crack when you try to bend them back.
If your @hole insurance people dont want to cough up for the new radiator, and evap' coil, just remind them how much a shop will charge, and they aren't likely to wrestle with these things, either!

(IYDMMA) How much is your collision rider/clause/charge?

Good luck!

· Registered
287 Posts
On a 12 year-old 'consumer' class vehicle (unless it's highly customized, or maybe going to be a 'collectible' for some reason), collision insurance on the actual vehicle is just 'money down the toilet'!
I wasn't advocating for him to have it/condemning him for not having it, just giving him an angle he hadn't apparently thought of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts