Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '05 Tribute and it states that the capacity is 6qts in my manual.
I usually only drain about 5.5 with the filter, is this normal for most folks with an '05 and newer and or old vehicles with the oil cooler?
Just a dumb question as I've done multiple fill and drains, but before changing i noticed the oil was over the hatch marks as I usually add 6qts per change.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to the city!

I had an '05 Escape. I didn't check how much oil was being drained each time I changed it (along with the filter), but I always drained it completely, removed the old filter, and added a full six quarts of oil and a new filter each time.

After running the engine and then letting it sit for a few hours, the oil level was always right at the maximum hash mark each time.

The only reason I can think of for the higher level, if everything else is OK, is that the dipstick might be too low in the neck. Is there a small rubber gasket inside the collar of the dipstick?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gasket is there. I looked again and parked on a level surface. Ended up adding close to 5.75 qts. With 6qts., it's a tad over the perforated hole. My engine hasn't been burning any oil yet, so I should be fine. Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You're welcome!

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
On another forum we discussed the amount of oil added to the engine on oil change time. It varies on these things. And can not for the life of me figure why. Could be that there is a variance in the oil pans, dip sticks, both...??? :confused:

No sure answer to any of it. I do whatever the manual says to add. I don't want to over fill and cause oil foaming.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yeah, I'd suspect an inaccurate dipstick measurement more than an internal problem/blockage with the engine, but it's sure better to err on the side of a slightly lower amount of oil (within specs) than an overfilled engine. Foaming = bad.

PS...how many miles are on that engine, LX?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Not sure about that one. :) I book the escape in for servicing, and the service tech does the oil change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts