Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, how often do you do it?

My manual (Canadian) recommends every 6 months or 12,000 km (7500 miles) for regular service or 6/8,000km (5000miles) for severe. I plan on following the severe service schedule - I will do that mileage in about 4 months - just because I can't see than non-synthetic oil doing 12k

My selling dealer - who lost my business forever yesterday but that's another story - wants it every 3 mos/5,000km which I think is a bit old school and excessive. The local dealer recommends every 8,000 or 4 months, still more than the manufacturer but I think more in tune with modern engines and lubricants (and the interval I'll likely follow).

For reference, My old Honda dealer said "follow the maintenance recommendations from the car's maintenance minder" and I usually ended up with an oil change around the 5 month 10,000km mark. My wife's mercedes logs up to 15,000km before it calls for an oil change and the dealer says that is more than adequate (fully synthetic oil with a mercedes additive is used, so I guess that is OK).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Following the owners manual is the only real advice there is. If you do what the book says, you won't void your warranty and your car will run "long time." Also, 5W20 oil is synthetic so running for 5000 miles is not an issue. Changing it sooner is a waste of money for you [and better business for who ever is scamming you]. So find a place that won't scam you and change it every 5000 miles.

I change the oil in the Escape every 6 months because I don't hit the mileage requirements. Also - I've found that the dealer charges less for 5W20 than the fast lube shops and doesn't try to peddle useless extras with the sale... Do you have a different Ford or Lincon dealer around that you can use?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I change it when the oil percentage hits zero and it lets me know when its time to change it. Usually around 5-6k miles (which comes very quickly.. usually every 2-3 months).

·
Registered
836 Posts
Manual says every 7,500 miles or six months. That or anything shorter for intervals will keep you in good warranty standings.

I do every 5,000 miles on the dot. I also take mine to the dealer. 1. I get free oil changes for the first 6 and 2. I wnat it documented at the dealer for any future questions. After losing my 2 month battle with VW over engine sludge and having to produce "Jiffy Lube/Valvoline Oil" receipts and from my mechanic - I go to the dealer 100%. I save every receipt and get the manual stamped for every change. That way in case they "can't locate" my records, I will have my copies.

After my freebies are up, I will move to 7,500 mile change intervals.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I usually start thinking about a change in the 3000-3500 mile range and then actually getting around to it in the 4000-5000 mile range. I used to use the semi-synth that Ford recommends. I used std. oil the last two changes because I was losing oil and I heard it's slightly thicker and slightly less prone to leaking. Seems to be working. My last oil change was at 4300 miles and there was very little change in the oil level. I want to do it more often, closer to the 3000 - 3500 mile range, since I'm using the less durable standard stuff. I felt a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the engine after the last change.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My selling dealer still seems to have that old domestic manufacturer mentality of "stick it to the suckers that pay up" rather than focussing on customer retention. Needless to say, I went there do deal with a couple of delivery issues and get my freebie oil change, but from now on I will use my local dealer. I used my local's Fast Lane for a tire repair and it was great, and cheaper than the local michelin shop quoted.

I mean, my selling dealer didn't even have copies of the newspaper to read in the waiting area, nor did they have free coffee ($1 from a machine!). Shuttle service? 5 km range. Little things, yes, but they say a lot about what the place thinks of its customers.

Our Mercedes dealer has starbucks coffee and pastries from Whole Foods....and its labor rate is $2 less per hour than my selling Ford dealer....go figure. Plus they provide no charge courtesy cars for any appointment service. I'll keep going there...not that I take full advantage of all the perks, but it shows they give a crap about their customer.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Sounds like all the domestic dealerships around here. All the Ford, Chevy & Chrysler dealers that survived the recession have terrible reputations as bait and switchers and high pressure tactics when selling. There are no "Fast-Lanes" either (that I know of) because all the dealerships have been around so long and there is no room to build them on the lots. They all have their own service schedules that perform the services more often than recommended in the manuals. We have no local "modern" dealerships except for the German's and Lexus... Those guys really take care of their customers but you pay thru the nose... I miss my "non-highway" local dealers. They all closed last year. I felt like they at least tried to be decent.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I change mine every 7500mi. I commute to far to worry about monthly duration.

I got a free oil change at the dealer and when they were done, they put the reminder sticker on my windshield. It said to change it in 3000mi. I laughed for a few minutes then took the sticker off.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I like buying a car from the guy/gal who changes unnecessarily at 3000 miles. I'm one of those who really does keep their cars into the mid or multiple 100ks. Most never see the benefit as they dump their used cars long before they show any engine wear.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I change the oil every 5,000 miles. I change it, then the dealer does, and repeat. Saves me money that way. I always use the Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic oil with a Motorcraft filter...both available at Walmart.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also my dealer is awesome. They are one of the biggest Ford dealers (Tasca) and they have the Fast Lane. Last oil change took 15 minutes. I barely finished my muffin and it was done. 1st appoinntment time is 7am. I was in, out and at work by 7:30. Sweet.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So do you go to Tasca in Cranston, RI or the one on the E. Prov,RI/Seekonk,MA line. I visit the one in E. Providence and they are always a big help. My step mom bought her explorer and my sister bought her focus from there. Good people.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Billyk said:
Hybrid owners have a 10,000 mile oil change interval. I have been using Mobil 1 0w-20 since my first oil change.
That's the same oil my Mercedes dealer uses - Mobil 1 0w20...and they go with a 15,500km or 1 year interval, so about 10,000miles. Must be good stuff. I guess synthetic can just last longer than dead dinosaurs can.

I wonder if my selling dealer uses dinosaur juice instead of semi-synthetic - at $41 for an oil and filter, its hard to tell as Mr Lube charges about that for a semi-synthetic change, but my local fast lane is $45.99 and they state clearly that it is semi-synthetic.

it wouldn't surprise me if Eastgate Ford is just dumping in the cheapest bulk oil they can buy and getting you back more often with shorter intervals. Lots of dealers buy the cheapest of the cheap but they make you **think** it is so much better than Mr Lube, Canadian Tire, QLube, etc.

I worked at a Honda dealer that used Valvoline exclusively, as per Honda recommendations at the time, then a new service manager came in and all of a sudden we were buying Petro-Canada's re-refined oil instead. Prices never dropped though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i bought my 09 escape new last july and my sales man told me every 8000kms between oil changes. I also got the maintenance package so i dont pay for oil changes wiper blades or any bulbs that burn out
p.s. im not to far from the OP im in windsor on

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Distance itself is irrelevant to fluid changes in any car.They are quoted by the manufacturer as a reference point. Then it is up to each user to alter the change intervals, (mostly to the more frequent one), depending on the location and the conditions these miles are done.It only takes three days to drive from New York to LA but you need a few weeks to cover the same distance driving to work daily.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys,
So I purchased a new 2010 Escape here in Canada back in April. 90 days later the car was given it's complimentary service. Today I received card recommending that I service the car.
What service would this be? And why would I have to service the car already as I thought it was only every 6 months not 3?
To date I have driven 10,000 kms.
Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
You have to follow the maintenance schedule that's in your Warranty booklet. Go by the mileage or time period, whichever comes first. And make sure they stamp your warranty booklet for the service being done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts