Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First this on my 5.4L Expy, not the Escape, or super super easy Falcon.

I'm usualy lazy/cheap and just have my oild changed, normally at Wally (convient & cheap). I think it's normaly $22-28 can't remember, and I get the 'full' service, tops fluids, grease serts, wash windshield, vacuum floor, etc. Anyway lately working nites I don't have time to take it in when they're open, so I bought the stuf to DIY. Spent like $20+ on 6quts MC oil & MC filter. Finally get around to changing it, grab the large 7/8 & 15/16 wrench I use on the Falcon oil pan, and this sucker is tiny, I think I finally got a 13mm socket to fit. And :censor: that sucker was tight! I had to stop, google just to be sure I was on the right nut; my only concern was it was clean, around the nut too, and some blue 'paint' on the side. Sure enough it was right, I had to get an air wrench on it after I tried my wrenches & 1/2" drive ratchet. So 30-45min later oil is finally draining. Now off to the filter... where is it? Oh yeah you need Gumby arms, it's directly over the lower control arm, between some pipes & tubes, can't get to it from above or behind, just his spot. put filter wrench on it, have like 1" of movement at a time. So 15min later the filter is off and manouvered out, and another 10 to get the new one in place. Oh and it's a Fram after requesting only MC every change. I've read on the F150 board Fram's not good for Fords, something about the valve inside?

So like 1.5hrs or so later, several :censor: words I finally have the oild changed.

Not sure what my plans are next time, that's a lot of pain to save $3-5, a messy garage floor because no way to catch filter oil, it drips all over the arm.

So that's my rant, I think I saw on the escape the filter is hanging right up front, but I think you just change the guts, the 'canister' stays? So when I decided to start changing that oil (after 7yr warrenty is up) it looks pretty easy. Besides she's a once a yr :D not every 3mo.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
At least the mission was accomplished! Good for you. I would have never attempted that. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well yall, I am a Wally World Tech in TLE. Guess what, i don't even Change my own oil. I pay 30.00 to let them do it for me. Less mess and more service. Just in case anyone else frquents Wal-Mart TLE, FYI, Motocraft Oil is the only synthetic blend that is less than 55.00. I hate changing my own oil. :bust:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, I think it'll be back to Wally for future changes too. $30, no mess, no curse words, it's just that it usually cost me more like $200 than $30, stuid store just has to much crap I can't live without!

I may have to do it once more myself, as I started to round the nut off, I'm sure they'd say we can't/won't do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.