Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty confident I know how to do this. The only thing I am worried about it is the filter. Anybody got a writeup with some pics of the process.

~Sam

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I can't get pics (too much snow), but it is a pretty easy job. The oil filter is located towards the front of the car. If you look behind the radiator near the passenger side, you should see an exhaust pipe with an oxygen sensor; the oil filter is right above that. You may want to put something there to direct oil away from the exhaust pipe, or you will smell some burning oil for the first few drives after an oil change. JP uses a 2 L pop bottle cut in half to fit over the oil filter. I like the smell of oil so I let it drip anywhere it wants. :yes:

Oil filter is hand-tightened, 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the gasket first makes contact. Make sure you oil the gasket and threads and check the engine block side to make sure it is clean (and there is no old gasket stuck there). Drain plug should be tightened to 19 ft-lbs, but a torque wrench is rarely used for something like that. I just hold the ratchet 1 ft away from the socket and approximate applying 20 lbs of force.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome thanks squishy. i'm going to attempt to change my oil this weekend, hopefully I can take some pics and post them up here.

what about the fuel filter??

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
The fuel filter is on the driver's side, near the gas tank under the car. There is a bracket holding it in place that works like a hose clamp; you can use a flathead screwdriver or a 7 mm socket (probably, I'm not sure what size) to loosen it. Fuel lines are held on with two plastic clips, and one of them is hard to get off. You want to make sure you do this with lots of good lighting so you can stick your head up there and figure out how the clip works. The clips have to be completely removed from the line, not just "popped up".

Before you disconnect the lines, release fuel pressure from the system. Look in the battery junction box (black box near the air box) and find the fuel pump relay, which is a black plastic cube. With the car running, pull it out and wait for the engine to die. Some fuel will still leak out from the filter.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I've changed my oil before and will be doing it again maybe this weekend. I can post pics if you want me to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that'd be awesome scott. I'm probably going to change mine this weekend too, so it wouldn't help me, but I think you should for other members.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just wanted to say in regards to the fuel filter, if you simply open your gas cap for a few minutes before replacing the filter that will release the pressure just as well.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Yeah it's snowing today so I probably won't get to changing my oil :bill:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so i went to my friends house so i could use his ramps and planned on
1) changing my oil/oil filter
2)doing a dump and fill
3)changing the fuel filter

1) I could not get that nut off. My friend had a cordless impact wrench that he used on his car, but it wouldn't fit (it was hitting something connected to the driveshaft I think). So we got a wrench, put it on the nut, and tried to hit it with a hammer to loosen the nut. All that accomplished is stripping the nut (slightly I hope). Any tips?? Also, if the nut is stripped where could I get a replacement and how much would it cost??

2) The nut on the tranny takes some type of square bit that I did not have. What do you guys use for that??

3) I could not get that second clip off of the filter. I did not read your post close enough Squishy and I did not see that you warned of this. I was using pliers I think, but now that I think about it I should have used a flat head screwdriver to pry the clip off.

Then, because my friend and I were feeling thoroughly dejected, we attempted to seafoam my engine, but the brake booster line was connected to this little brown plastic thing that wiggles, and I could not get the line off because I was afraid of ripping the grommet off the booster.

All in all, it was a wasted morning.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Do you have a local community college? They probably have a auto maintenance course (crdit and non-credit) you could sign up for, they would keep you on the right track and you could learn some valuable tool handling and usage skills. All the while learning how to maintain your Escape, and doing it in a true shop.

I learned what I know in a high school auto shop, my driveway and at the local service station. But that was all over forty years ago... :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
What kind of wrench did you use on it? Hopefully not an adjustable wrench; my first automotive lesson was to stay the heck away from those. I also make it a rule to never use a 12-point box end wrench on stuck bolts if that wrench cost less than $50. I try to stay away from 12-point anything, in fact. The drain plug takes either a 15 mm or a 17 mm socket - get a short socket, 6-point, and put a steel pipe over the ratchet. My 18" breaker bar has taken off every single bolt I have used it on (broke a few, though). I have a 36" pipe that I can attach to it when I'm feeling lazy. I can take off lug nuts just by standing up with that pipe in my hands. :D

I can't remember how I got that second fuel filter clip off, but I remember getting my head all the way up in there to see the other end of the clip. In the end I either used my fingers or a small hobby-style flathead to get it off. I recently did another Ford fuel filter without using tools on the clips, but both fittings had the normal style clips where you spread the "legs" on the other side to get it to unlatch, then wiggle it a bit to get it all the way off.

Can you put the Seafoam in through another vacuum line? There is a crankcase vent line that tees into the intake just in front of the throttle body. I have sprayed cleaner through there in the past.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must say, squishy, you are AWESOME. I wish I knew a tenth of what you do

For the oil, I'm afraid that I will break the bolt though...in that case, where would I be able to get a replacement?

The fuel filter I am pretty sure that I can get off, if worse comes to worst, I can always get a hacksaw or a pair of snips and cut the end off of the filter (right?)

What type of socket would I use for the tranny plug though? It also looked pretty well stuck in there and I think it will be just as hard to take off.

And finally, can you show me where this other line is for the seafoam?

I apologize for my noobishness (jonas1022) but this is why I come to the site in the first place...

Thanks to all who have helped so far.

~Sam

·
Registered
256 Posts
sammysam said:
2)doing a dump and fill

2) The nut on the tranny takes some type of square bit that I did not have. What do you guys use for that??

All in all, it was a wasted morning.
The nut is removed using a 3/8" socket extension - nothing else on the end.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Do you have the new oil filter yet? Look at the new filter and you will see exactly how the tabs need to come off...it's difficult but you can do it (I just did it a few months ago)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It is much more likely that the aluminium oil pan will strip before the bolt breaks. Unfortunately, that is usually more expensive to repair (in some cases a self-tapping oversized plug will seal). If you break the drain plug, you can get another one from most parts shops like NAPA.

I wouldn't cut the end off the filter. The clip would still hold the line in place. Call the parts counter at your dealership and make sure they have replacement clips, and if you get frustrated, just get a big flathead screwdriver and snap the old clip off.

I use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter to get at the tranny plug; I find extensions too long to get proper leverage on a tight plug.

The crankcase vent line can be found by following the rubber intake tube from the airbox to the throttle body. There is a rigid plastic line right on top of the rubber tube that pulls right out. It is connected with a "T" fitting.

·
Registered
256 Posts
DON'T CUT THE LINE TO THE FUEL FILTER.

I haven't changed the one on the Escape yet, but according to the shop manual, you need a "fuel pipe 1/2" remover" tool. This sounds like what I needed to use on my Windstar, VERY simple, but VERY NOT OBVIOUS. I ended up using a piece of hard plastic tubing about half-inch long that I slit lengthwise. I later bought a whole set of 6 removers for less than $10-bucks.

Here's a picture of one in action (NOT on an Escape):

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again guys, thanks for all your help. Once I find the time (and get my confidence up :stifle: ) I am going to attempt this again with all your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts