Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many huge debates about how often engine oil should be changed, but I'm curious what you guys are doing. Are you following the owner's manual recommendation for changing the oil at 7500 miles and are you using Motorcraft's synthetic blend?

My Ford dealer recommends changing the syn blend oil at 3500 miles. My feeling is that if I change the oil that often, I might as well switch back to 100% dino oil and pay less for the oil changes. For other cars I've owned recently I've run Mobil 1 and changed the oil every 5000 miles.

My Escape is an '09 with 9,350 miles. I changed the oil twice with the Motorcraft syn blend oil.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ive always changed it as per the recommended time. I think it can also depend on ones driving and conditions they drive in. I change mine every 3 months or 5000 KLMS and my oil is still fairly clean looking when it comes out. I was running syn on my other car but im not sure if ill switch to that on my escape. I use to get my head so spun out on reading about synthetic and regular oil and gave up. :wall:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I'm kinda of hard on my engine. Most of my driving is around town and I'm very willing to "give it some gas" to feel the power when merging on the highway. :D Because of this I change it more often than 7k. I'm usually in the 4500 to 5500 mile range between changes. I do use a synthetic blend but it's not necessarily Motorcraft (depending on who I bring it to). The local Goodyear garage uses Castrol's synth blend as their standard... and they don't charge any more than a regular oil change. Usually it's $30 or $35 (I forget the exact amount). My last oil change was at the dealership (because I had some other issues I wanted them to look at). The oil change there is normally $55 but they had a mail in rebate for $20. Final cost was $35. Not bad...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im a mechanic and i dont change my oil on my car and escape LoL. its not cost effective. my time is worth way more then the $8 i save by doing my wifes car, and the $15 i save doing the escape. walmart charges $14 to change your oil if you bring in the oil and filter, so i just wait till its on sale and stock up. i do however change the oil on my motorcycles cause its 75-100 bucks to get it done and i get the oil and filter for 35.

ive been recently changing my escape oil twice a year. The first year i had it, i put 20,000km on it in 6 months and changed it every 5000km with synthetic. Because i dont need to drive as much as i did i dont even pay attention to the KM, i will do an oil change just before the snow falls, and then one more after the snow melts. i do however let the tire shop rotate my tires every 10,00km so i keep the warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
At 3500 miles, they just want your money. Even a conventional API SM oil will easily go 5000 miles. A basic full synthetic or a decent blend is good for the factory 7500 miles, and you can take a top tier synthetic or synthetic HDEO to about 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
679 Posts
i got 3 years free oil changes from the dealer and go in every 5000km for their semi blend. All i pay is $4 disposal fee.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I change my oil every 5,000km using fully synthetic (after the first few thousand KMs if the engine is new) just because that is what I have always been used to. The local Motul rep and the book keeper at the shop I work for (who used to own the Motul Distributorship for Canada) are regularly poking fun at me because of how frequently I change the oil in my cars, but again it is cheap insurance and I have not heard of engine failure due to changing the oil too often.

The Ford manual will still suggest oil change intervals that are within reason as long as you are following the correct schedule. Keep in mind what people consider normal driving is actually classified as severe duty (stop & go traffic along with lots of short trips vs. highway driving). Another thing I realized when my Escape had gone in for the Free oil change at 7,000km the Ford Dealer said that in Canada the factory fill is actually conventional oil rather than the synthetic blend that is called for in US market Escapes.

Most important, if you change your oil regulary (using good quality oil - whether synthetic or conventional) according to the usage your vehicle sees, the engine will last a good long while.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The advantage of using synthetic oil is that it stays slippery longer.
It's probably a waste of money & resources to change it prior to 5,000 miles (assuming you're putting more than 10k miles a year on the vehicle). Personally, I'd have a hard time going 7500 miles between oil changes, though.
Something you can do is to look at & feel the old oil. I drove an 86 Ford Ranger V6 for 21 years & changed the oil every 2-3k miles because that's what it needed: the old oil was always dirty. Modern engines are built tighter & run cleaner. I change the oil in my 2002 Escape twice a year and it's always clean & still has the amber color (the car is driven well under 10k miles a year).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I change the oil myself usually between 5k and 6k miles.

I usually keep an eye out for sales on oil and filters and buy that way. It only saves a few dollars over the garage doing it, but I like the feeling of knowing the job is done right with an oil and filter I know the brand of and that I know are new. LOL I also don't like the hassle of an oil change place that tries to sell me stuff I don't want.

I like the quality time with the car too. It gives me a chance to look around under the hood and under the car for awhile, tires, etc,... just a general inspection.

·
Registered
191 Posts
johnnymossville said:
I change the oil myself usually between 5k and 6k miles... I like the feeling of knowing the job is done right with an oil and filter I know the brand of and that I know are new. LOL I also don't like the hassle of an oil change place that tries to sell me stuff I don't want...
Years ago, I let one of those quick lube places change the oil for me one time. I watched them put the oil in, so I knew that was done & I checked it afterwards (but didn't think to check the oil filter). Three months later when doing the next oil change, I found that the previous oil filter that I had installed 3 months prior to the quicky lube job was still there - the oil change place did not change the filter.

Anothe time, I took my wife's car to the car-wash-oil-change place. Without asking, the guy pulled out the air filter, trying to sell me a new one. It was obvious that the old one was fine, so I declined. Some time later, a month or two, I discover that the air filter was improperly reinstalled - the airbox was put back together wrong & there were untightened & missing screws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts