Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new oil cooler having found oil in my coolant (2005 XLT V6). Nightmare to install and had engine dump oil after two attempts. Car is in underground parking bay so it's not easy to recover. I'm suspecting a faulty cooler and would like to go direct to the block with the filter. I'm finding it impossible to locate a short 22x1.5m mounting stud. I live in Tenerife and if anyone can help me locate this part I will be forever in their debt.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
Do you have recycling yards on the island? I suspect about 99% of Ford products use the same fitting. I think removing the oil cooler should leave a fitting that the filter mount nipple can be screwed into, but it not, then searching a local yard for Ford products may yield what you need. As I understand how things are assembled, the cooler adapter is placed onto the oil filter mount, and a nipple screwed through the adapter into the normal mount point. The nipple is too long when the cooler adapter is removed, so replacing it with a shorter nipple would make mounting the filter directly possible, the same way other engines not fitted with a cooler are made.
A scrapped engine likely has what you need. A used part should not have any wear, so would be satisfactory.
I may not have understood...
tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have recycling yards on the island? I suspect about 99% of Ford products use the same fitting. I think removing the oil cooler should leave a fitting that the filter mount nipple can be screwed into, but it not, then searching a local yard for Ford products may yield what you need. As I understand how things are assembled, the cooler adapter is placed onto the oil filter mount, and a nipple screwed through the adapter into the normal mount point. The nipple is too long when the cooler adapter is removed, so replacing it with a shorter nipple would make mounting the filter directly possible, the same way other engines not fitted with a cooler are made.
A scrapped engine likely has what you need. A used part should not have any wear, so would be satisfactory.
I may not have understood...
tom
Thanks Tom,

The auto dissmantlers here do not allow public access and only supply vehicle specific parts requiring customers to take the Log book. I f they do not have your vehicle in stock the turn you away and I think that I am the only person on the Island with this car. In Europe it is branded as a Maverick, I have bought spare parts from Germany and the States but this part is proving difficult to obtain, as you said, this engine is used in alot of vehicles but it seems that none of the breakers are interested in supplying it.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts

This is one source that may work. Shipping/duty/?? will add up.

If you want to delete the cooler, then you need the alternate part that takes the place of the pipe-looking fitting at the bottom of the image. The fitting for non-cooler vehicles is just a pipe nipple, with proper threads, and a thin hex in the middle that allows torquing for installation. One end threads match the block threads, the other threads match the oil filter threads. They are screwed in at the factory, and in 99.99% of the cases are left there for the life of the vehicle.
Looking at the adapter, the one used on the 4-cylinder engines is very similar. The unusual gasket, circular with the bit connecting either side, was unavailable by itself, but is now available individually, so you don't need to buy the whole assembly if the O-ring style gasket has hardened and is no leaking. The gasket is significantly less expensive than the adapter.
If you visit the breakers, they may be more interested than if you just call. I know here in US it seems they will dodge over the phone for a small-value part, but if not busy when you are there in person, find it more difficult to make up stories.
If you took your adapter bolt/nipple, and a filter that was appropriate, and went to the breaker, and asked for a nipple to match the engine side threads and filter side threads, a little walking around looking at other Ford engines might find one that fit.
If that is what you are seeking.
tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This is one source that may work. Shipping/duty/?? will add up.

If you want to delete the cooler, then you need the alternate part that takes the place of the pipe-looking fitting at the bottom of the image. The fitting for non-cooler vehicles is just a pipe nipple, with proper threads, and a thin hex in the middle that allows torquing for installation. One end threads match the block threads, the other threads match the oil filter threads. They are screwed in at the factory, and in 99.99% of the cases are left there for the life of the vehicle.
Looking at the adapter, the one used on the 4-cylinder engines is very similar. The unusual gasket, circular with the bit connecting either side, was unavailable by itself, but is now available individually, so you don't need to buy the whole assembly if the O-ring style gasket has hardened and is no leaking. The gasket is significantly less expensive than the adapter.
If you visit the breakers, they may be more interested than if you just call. I know here in US it seems they will dodge over the phone for a small-value part, but if not busy when you are there in person, find it more difficult to make up stories.
If you took your adapter bolt/nipple, and a filter that was appropriate, and went to the breaker, and asked for a nipple to match the engine side threads and filter side threads, a little walking around looking at other Ford engines might find one that fit.
If that is what you are seeking.
tom
Thankyou Tom,

I made a discovery last night, the 20x1.5mm nipple is available from Karcher and is used to extend the hose on a pressure washer, its probably a standard Hydraulic fitting but I had no success with that internet search. Im in England for the next 10 days so Ive arranged to have them delivered there, they come in packs of two.Thanks again for your assistance it may seem crazy to own a car so rare in the canary Islands, I had an older model in the Uk and when I saw this I just had to buy it. Im hoping that this is my last car, maintanance and repair is more of a hobby now that I am retired.
Thanks again Tom

Mike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts