Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to post this the other day. When i purchased my vehicle i had to sign a paper saying i was aware the oil filters other than the motorcraft part have been causing issues with the oiling system. So it was basically telling me that if i don't use a motorcraft filter and i have engine problems they probably will not cover it under warranty. There is more info on the sheet i can't remember i'll have to look at it tonight when i get home

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is a "Special Service Message:20375" Concerning 1997-2010 Vehicles. Engine ticking or rattle noise.

These engines may experience an engine ticking or rattle noise that sounds like a stuck tappet. This may be due to the deterioration of an aftermarket oil filter. Vehicles with this condition have low oil pressure at one cylinder head only, while main pressure is normal. Disloged material from the aftermarket oil filter blocks the cam cap oil passage, either at cylinder #4 or #5.
Ford recommends the use of Ford approved filters only. Damage to engines cause by aftermarket oil filters are not covered under warranty.

This was all copied from the paper i got from the dealer. Hopefully this will save some of you from problems down the road.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Good looking out. I wonder what filters they are referring to. Must a cheap filter.

·
Registered
256 Posts
TopElimn8r said:
I meant to post this the other day. When i purchased my vehicle i had to sign a paper saying i was aware the oil filters other than the motorcraft part have been causing issues with the oiling system. So it was basically telling me that if i don't use a motorcraft filter and i have engine problems they probably will not cover it under warranty. There is more info on the sheet i can't remember i'll have to look at it tonight when i get home
It sounds like a carefully worded statement to avoid violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 by you signing that "you're aware of" rather than "you're required to use a Ford filter". If they said you HAD TO use it, they would have to supply the filters at no charge.

From a non-authoritative source quoting Penzoil:

A clearly-written explanation of this provision is contained in Pennzoil Product Bulletin F-03-A, from which we quote the following: "Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of filter, or any other part, unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty. An equipment manufacturer can obtain a waiver if it proves to the FTC that the equipment would function properly only if certain brands of filters or other parts are used. The FTC must be satisfied that this is in public interest, and this waiver must be published in the Federal Register. This is a 'waiver' of the prohibitions on conditions of written warranty.

Should a customer be told that only a brand name oil filter can be used to protect a warranty, the customer should ask to have the statement put in writing or demand that the specific product be provided free of charge. Should these demands be rejected, then the customer should request that he or she be provided with a copy of the warrantor's approved FTC waiver. If no waiver is produced and the customer is charged for the product, there may be a violation of federal law. The customer should also be aware that he or she may have additional legal rights under applicable state warranty law which may vary from state to state."

D*mn, I'm glad I don't have to worry about any filters for SPARKZZ.

-SPARKZZ

·
Registered
322 Posts
On a related search on F-150online.com, I was looking for info on my expy, there was tons of info on the Fram filter and not good for Ford's. This could be the 'one' they're refering to.
Something about cardboard inside the filter and the check valve (?) something cloging or something to that effect.

I was a little mad when I did my own oild change for the first time on it and I've been asking for Motorcraft filters & oil to see the Orange filter on three :cuss: Not sure how many times in the last 10 years there's been a non-MC filter installed.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I haven't used any filter other than Motorcraft for any of my Fords.

It doesn't hurt that I have a Pep Boys and Advance Auto within a mile from home. They both stock all of the Motorcraft filters I've ever needed, as well as Motorcraft's synthetic-blend 5W20.

I just found out that my soon-to-be-delivered 2010 Escape uses an FL-910 spin-on filter. I was expecting another cartridge filter like the one in our 2.3L Fusion, so I was happy to hear that Ford is back to spin-ons with the 2.5L.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I remember reading about this recently on another auto forum. I wish I remembered which one so I could document the source.

What was significant though, is that the problem wasn't with Fram (as crummy of a filter that ever was), it was with WIX, a filter maker that has until now been among the very best. WIX also supplies NAPA.

So take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here's a 5pg long banter on yes it is, no it ain't on the Fram for Fords.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/366402-fram-oil-filter-no-good.html

Another with cutouts of Fram & wix/Napa
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/881033-attn-use-motorcraft-oil-filters-only.html

A few quotes, and this is just stuff posted, I don't know these people so take it like any other item you research online

Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.
This is what Ford has to say about NON-Ford filters and Warranty work.

Engine Damage / Non-Ford Oil Filters - All Model Years, All Vehicles
A review of warranty claims indicates that engine damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters is being claimed under Ford warranty.

The check valves in some non-Ford filters disintegrate causing small rubber debris (frequently red color) to migrate into the engine's oil passages where they restrict flow. This restriction causes components (such as the variable cam timing phaser) to fail, and causes engine knocking / ticking /rattles.

Please reference:

SSM #18921 (Published: 11/03/05)
SSM #19642 (Published: 03/01/07)
TSB #06-19-08
Repair of engine damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters is not covered per Section 3 of the Warranty & Policy Manual.

Category: Powertrain - Engine
Do: Look for bits of rubber (frequently red color) when repairing damaged engines.
Don't: Submit a warranty claim for damage caused by defective non-Ford oil filters.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Counterfeit oil filters is another problem. Toyota put a warning out a while back about counterfeit toyota oil filters. Some counterfeits supposedly only have toilet paper in them.

Notice the red box on the left - looks like a Motorcraft box

And can you tell which brake pads are the counterfeits

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not to totally change the subject but I recently did my 5K oil change on my V6 2010 and finding the oil filter was a bit of trouble. The V6 for 09 and 10 used an FL-500S filter.
The older V6s use the FL-820S and from what I've read on other forums where this newer V6 is used , some dealer Service depts will try to sell the FL-820S. :stop: In one forum a guy said that he had the service dept call him back for a filter change after they replaced with the FL-820S.

I have not been able to find a FL-500S outside of the dealer locally so far in spite of the fact that the engine has been out for some time. :shrug:

Something here of a decent price (I'm not affiliated but dealer list is about 2X$):
http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog ... L500S.html

The next time I see them at @5$ I will buy a few

·
Registered
384 Posts
This is why I am sooooooo glad that I have had every oil change done at a Ford garage. Anything goes wrong, there will be no dickering about using non-Ford parts, cause they sure as :censor: better be using Ford EVERYTHING for as much as it costs!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Also, my local Walmart sells Motorcraft oil and Motorcraft oil filters, and I am pretty sure the largest retailer in the country is not selling knockoffs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts