Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my car had leaked a large amount of fluid with oil mixed in from the AC evap drain. Is this possible or did I park where another car had leaked the fluid?

2011 Escape 3.0L

Thanks for any help.

James

· Registered
1,475 Posts
The AC does have oil in it, and if the evaporator is leaking then it could be from that, but I doubt that is what happened. For oil to leak out means that "freon" is also leaking out and it likely won't be working.

· Registered
3,798 Posts
As noted, the only oil that might be inside the plenum would be from a leaking evaporator. If the A/C works properly and is cold, it is unlikely that the refrigerant R-134a, has leaked out. The refrigerant carries oil around the system as it moves, providing lubricant for the compressor pistons. If you leaked refrigerant you'd likely leak oil. If it was leaking at a fitting, in most cases the oil that is carried out by the refrigerant will leave a film that will attach road dirt and grime, causing a dark film to form around the fitting. If you have dark, dirty spots at fittings, you are likely observing a slow leak. Soapy water sprayed on might disclose slow bubbles... FWIW.
tom

· Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
775 Posts
I thought my car had leaked a large amount of fluid with oil mixed in from the AC evap drain. Is this possible or did I park where another car had leaked the fluid?

2011 Escape 3.0L

Thanks for any help.

James
Just to be sure, James, throw a hunk of (white) cardboard underneath your car next time you park… See what fluids are present

1 - 5 of 5 Posts