Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
recently i replaced seal gasket in my ford escape 2006 due to what we figured out oil leak. everything was fine until my last oil changed where i was told they did extra oil add on for no specific reason and i notice oil leak since then , please see the attached pics . is that related to the extra oil add on or its just coincidence and the leak is coming from somewhere i cannot detect ? the oil spill is on the left side on the car ( looking at it seating in the driver side) . i dont know the texture of it . can you advice me what it possibly might me and if driving is dangerous or damaging to my car? see Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car
attached 3 pics
thank you ev
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Registered
455 Posts
That is your water pump in the photo and I suspect the dried oil that is on there was from the original oil leak. Your engine might also be burning some oil if you have over 100K miles which is normal. You can clean off the residual oil from the water pump if you want and see if any comes back, though I don't see any leak above. Also check your oil level weekly to see how much the engine is using. The engine leaking a small amount of oil is not a reason to stop driving the vehicle. You will not damage the engine unless you let the oil level get very low.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
495 Posts
Hi there
recently i replaced seal gasket in my ford escape 2006 due to what we figured out oil leak. everything was fine until my last oil changed where i was told they did extra oil add on for no specific reason and i notice oil leak since then , please see the attached pics . is that related to the extra oil add on or its just coincidence and the leak is coming from somewhere i cannot detect ? the oil spill is on the left side on the car ( looking at it seating in the driver side) . i dont know the texture of it . can you advice me what it possibly might me and if driving is dangerous or damaging to my car?
STOP DRIVING NOW
Welcome to the City E,
they told you it was over full... if it was they should have drained it.
Too much oil in crankcase can catastrophically damage your engine.

Did you check the level before you drove away? In a best case scenario, it is just messy, blowing oil out a gasket. Worst case, it trashes the motor.

STOP DRIVING NOW
check oil level, drain if necessary

the magic 8 ball(google search) will say the same:

Reactions: ewelina

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is your water pump in the photo and I suspect the dried oil that is on there was from the original oil leak. Your engine might also be burning some oil if you have over 100K miles which is normal. You can clean off the residual oil from the water pump if you want and see if any comes back, though I don't see any leak above. Also check your oil level weekly to see how much the engine is using. The engine leaking a small amount of oil is not a reason to stop driving the vehicle. You will not damage the engine unless you let the oil level get very low.
the oil leak is very small . im just mad they add some extra oil . so in my understanding im ok to drive and nothing is going to blow my head gasket or something else? i will got o my mechanic just to make sure .thank you so much Ev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
STOP DRIVING NOW
Welcome to the City E,
they told you it was over full... if it was they should have drained it.
Too much oil in crankcase can catastrophically damage your engine.

Did you check the level before you drove away? In a best case scenario, it is just messy, blowing oil out a gasket. Worst case, it trashes the motor.

STOP DRIVING NOW
check oil level, drain if necessary

the magic 8 ball(google search) will say the same:

no i didnt check and i should have. i usually go to a different place . i will check the oil level today before i go anywhere thank you Ev

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
The coolant pump is driven by a belt that is powered by the serpentine pulley attached to the camshaft. The oil seal on the camshaft may be seeping a bit and gradually traveling down that end of the engine. Unless it is wet, it is such a slow seepage of oil that most people will let it continue to seep until the seep becomes a flow.
You can determine more precisely what is leaking by using some 'brake cleaner' spray around the pulley area on the end of the cylinder head. Alternatives are other chemical sprays, and petroleum solvents along with rags to wipe them on and remove the excess oil. Once clean of dirt and seepage, you can monitor to determine if that is the source of your leak.
It may be possible to replace the seal without removing a lot of other parts.
tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts