Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions.
1. Oil drain plug is strip out, how to fix?Replace the $280.00 dollar oil pan :censor: or use helix coil {sp} to fix.I got the plug in but I cant get it tight so a steady drip. :cuss:
2. Has any one else had this problem with their Tribute/Escape 3.0L engine?
What happen is the Steel oil plug pulled the threads out of the aluminum oil pan.I would say use antisize on the oil plug to help with this problem. JMO

Mazda/Ford will not help you with this .They say that its you problem. :censor: :cuss: :censor: :cuss:

[mod]Moved to Problems And Solutions.[/mod]

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey thats a tough problem. the new pan would work but at 280 a pop the heli coils in my opinion would not be a good choice to prevent loss of your engines blood. I was thinking drop the pan and weld a bung on like the ones for adding a O2 sensor and get a plug to match the new threads. hope this helps, good luck

Dale

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
1) Get a self-tapping over-sized drain plug and that should do the trick. Bring your old one along with you so the parts guy can match it up.

2) Almost always caused by over-tightening the drain plug or cross-threading the plug. I agree with Mazda that it is not their problem - it is the problem of whoever installed the drain plug improperly. No anti-seize is needed, as the threads are always oiled. Make sure not to torque beyond the needed 20 lb-ft or so (I think 19 lb-ft for the Tribute specifically). Grab the wrench a foot away from the drain plug and apply twenty pounds of force to it. For comparison, wheel lug nuts on our car require 98 lb-ft to tighten.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I had a similar problem on an old BMW years ago. Cast aluminum oil pan with stripped out threads for the oil drain. :cuss: It was also cracked enough for the oil to run out on the ground in about 20 minutes.

I had the oil pan dropped, and some aluminum welded into the hole (and the crack). Retapped and threaded. The welder was an artist. After cleaning up the pan, and reinstalling on the engine, I couldn't tell what he did. No makings. And the oil plug worked well, no leaks. And that car always leaked before the repair. :yahoo:

Downside, it wasn't cheap. I think that cost me $200.00 ten or eleven years ago! I think Squishy has a good alternative for you to pursue. :thumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help!! :yahoo: Guess I'l try the self taping plug ,see how thats works.
Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts