Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys if any of you have small oil leaks or seepage take a look at your PCV valve. On my 3000gt I had a oil leak at the oil cap and on the valve cover and I fixed it by accident while changing the PCV valve during a tune up. I just turned 100k miles on my Escape and I noticed some seepage around the oil pan, crankshaft seal, and around the front valve cover. I did a tune-up and drained all my fluids at 80k but remembered I never changed the pcv valve.

I thought that the problem was the crankshaft seal, but I'm almost positive that the problem was the pcv valve. I changed it yesterday and cleaned all the dirt and oil off the engine. The old valve was clogged and didn't rattle. After driving it all day today 100+miles there is no sign of oil leaks. Im hoping all is good I'll fill you guys in in a couple days when I check it again.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
That is a possibility but I wonder.With a clogged PCV valve you should have noticed erratic idling at best and stalling at the traffic light at worst.Whatever it was I hope it is fixed now.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah no erratic idle, but day two and the oil hasn't returned. The PVC valve I removed did move if you whipped it forward inyour hand, but it didn't rattle around like it should have. I'll keep checking over the next few days.

On my 3000gt there was no irratic idle either.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the leak is back but not as bad. Bummer :doh: . I'm assuming that it's because the crankcase preassure is no longer pushing the oil out. But I jacked the car up today and took a really good look and my oil leak is going to continue until I get the oil pan seal and the upper oil pan seal(the seal about 2 inches above the first gasket). I can see two spots on the lower and upper seal where the RTV sealant has pushed out, because of the pressure. So Im unsure if Ill be doing this or my mechanic. My concern is the peice that is above the oilpan. Does anyone know if that can be removed easily? or does it involve removing the timing chain cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts