Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The motor said it was 5w20 for mobil 1, is that correct?

what is the best type of oil for the v6 duratech engine?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
5W-20 is what Ford recommends, but it is near impossible to say what is "the best". Any oil that meets API SM will work well, especially if it is a synthetic. I would go with a 0W-20 (they're all synthetic) if your winter temperatures approach -40.

Personally, I use Petro Canada Synthetic "Arctic" 0W-30.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,648 Posts
Squishy said:
5W-20 is what Ford recommends, but it is near impossible to say what is "the best". Any oil that meets API SM will work well, especially if it is a synthetic. I would go with a 0W-20 (they're all synthetic) if your winter temperatures approach -40.

Personally, I use Petro Canada Synthetic "Arctic" 0W-30.
-40F or -40C? :bang:
 

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
Joined
·
20,590 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Squishy said:
5W-20 is what Ford recommends, but it is near impossible to say what is "the best". Any oil that meets API SM will work well, especially if it is a synthetic. I would go with a 0W-20 (they're all synthetic) if your winter temperatures approach -40.

Personally, I use Petro Canada Synthetic "Arctic" 0W-30.
-40F or -40C? :bang:
When its that cold, who cares!!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
nycxbait said:
The motor said it was 5w20 for mobil 1, is that correct?

what is the best type of oil for the v6 duratech engine?
Here's a WILD GUESS . . . .

How about . . . .

Mobil1 5W-20???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
ive used 5W20 castrol or mobil 1, successfully for 2 winters now, and its gotten to -45 (canadian lol) here.
 

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
Joined
·
20,590 Posts
I used 5W20 Castrol Syntec in my Escape and have been happy.
 

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
Joined
·
20,590 Posts
I found this on another forum and thought it would add value.

From Mobil1 website.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...o_Mobil_1.aspx

Question:
Switching From Conventional Motor Oil to Mobil 1
There seems to be confusion about how to make the switch from conventional motor to synthetic. I am a do-it-yourselfer. Could you provide instructions?
-- Joe D., Miami, FL
Answer:
The instructions are very easy to follow: Simply change the oil as you would normally. Any "confusion" is just myth. You can switch from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 synthetic (and back again, if you want), without following any special procedures. The only exception to this is with a higher-mileage engine that has never used synthetic motor oil, or with an engine that has used conventional motor oil and been poorly maintained. In these cases, you should still follow the same basic oil-change procedures (drain the old oil, remove the old oil filter, put in new Mobil 1 and put on a new oil filter), but you should follow a regimen of one or two shortened oil-change intervals. For instance, let's say that your regular oil change interval is 5,000 miles. If you're switching to Mobil 1 under the circumstances mentioned above, make your next Mobil 1 oil change in 2,500 miles, your third Mobil 1 oil change 3,500 miles after that, and then follow your normal 5,000 mile oil-change interval. The reasoning behind this staggered interval is that a high-mileage engine, or one that has seen infrequent oil changes, will likely have a considerable build-up of sludge and deposits. Mobil 1 will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very "dirty" engine, and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first few thousand miles. After that, you can rest assured that Mobil 1 is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top