Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 2003 trib 4x4 109,000 kms

nice truck rides good. problem is that reading a lot of post at that other place (and been waiting in limbo since christmas). I have come to the conclusion that the Escape/Trib have quite a few tranny problems.Will some one let me know the TRUTH about this. :bang: Wife has been reading as well

thank you for the help

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm not technical expert on this, but the conclusion is that the CD4E tranny is a somewhat weak link for this vehicle. However, if you take care of it and flush it regularly, most people have no problems whatsoever with it.

Some of the other more technically inclined can probably give you the particulars, but I wouldn't shy away from this great little SUV because of it. Every vehicle has some weak spots in their design. If you read Consumer Reports and have the Buying Guide you will see that none of the triplets have the transmission listed as a problem area in the ratings. I would conclude from that that this is a problem for just a very few vehicles and not something to worry about. If it happens to your car, it's a relatively painless fix - expensive - but fixable.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
KiKi is correct,

It seems more to do with maintenance than overall design failure. Now buying a used car has its risks in not knowing the true use and maintenance history so you would need to feel comfortable with that detail. Some of us go over board and change every other oil change and others use a patented partial drain and suppliment program to keep the juice fresh.

I'll tell you I really can feel the difference after a good flush and refill so the system is in my opinion effected by old dirty fluid and needs to be refreshed, same really with all cars, fresh fluids make them run better and last longer.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
My sister and bro-in-law still have their 2001 Escape XLT, and the last time I asked them, I think they said it had around 120,000 miles on it. They bought it new, and theirs was one of the first 10,000 built in the first model year. Other than routine maintenance and tires, the only problem they've ever had was a bad right front ABS sensor, and a dent in the hood where one of my nieces smacked it with a lacrosse ball.

I had my '05 for three years, and I never had any problems with it. I bought it new, and it was built on the first day of production for the '05s.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wondering how well the previous owner took care of the vehicle is always a big concern for me. If it was properly maintained, I wouldn't worry about any problems with the transmission. We had our 04 Escape for over 4 years with no problems with transmission or anything else, and our 08 Mariner has no problems so far.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Stryford said:
Wondering how well the previous owner took care of the vehicle is always a big concern for me. If it was properly maintained, I wouldn't worry about any problems with the transmission. We had our 04 Escape for over 4 years with no problems with transmission or anything else, and our 08 Mariner has no problems so far.
I agree.
I spent a lot of time looking for a good quality used Ford Maverick, the one I eventually purchased had 1 previous owner with all availible Ford G.B. options, a full main dealer service history, including being charged £50.00 for nourishing the leather seats every year, and even every fuel receipt from new, and a log of what milage it had done, and where it had travelled to.
God, that owner must have been both rich and bored!!!!!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
yep, but at least I got an A1 condition Maverick with no worries or hidden problems. :yahoo: :beer:
The history came in 3 A4 ringbinders, must be a record breaker!!! :woohoo:
Although I purchased the car from my local Kia dealer, the previous owner lived 5 miles away from me, on a very exclusive housing development, and it was his spare car, after his Aston Martin and Range Rover Sport.
Sigh, how the other half live.
The moral of the story is:
Check the history of the car, the more documentation the better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What you all say is good and with a little common cence and due diligence I will pick up a good one.
Unfortunately :mad: the trib I was looking at sold today before I got back to the dealer. :bang: My fault really :boring: snooze you lose :cuss: . I shall keep looking

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
trib OK said:
What you all say is good and with a little common cence and due diligence I will pick up a good one.
Unfortunately :mad: the trib I was looking at sold today before I got back to the dealer. :bang: My fault really :boring: snooze you lose :cuss: . I shall keep looking
Over here, there are about 20 Mavericks for sale in Autotrader for sale at anyone time, but it took me about a year to find one that I felt wasn't a lemon. -\/- :worry:
Perservere, check its history carefully, and you will be rewarded :yahoo:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.