Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, had a brainwave this morning....
:stop: Wow, that did hurt ! ;)
Then after having a rest on the sofa after suffering this unusual phenomina, I proceded to install a 12V power socket in the between the front seats console of the car, so that the rear DVD players could be put on charge, without having cables trailing all over the place.
Right, here's the install..

Remove the centre console, and you're Maverick / Escape / Tribute / Mariner should look like this inside.. :shock:

And you should end up with these lumps of plastic.. :shock:

By the way, DO NOT drop the gearknob like I did, because it is very heavy, and it :censor: hurts when it lands on your big toe :cry: :rant:
Ok, now a mild panic may set in, but persevere, have a ciggie and coffee,then start to cut a hole to suit the diameter of the 12V socket that is to be used, (I robbed mine from the Laguna's boot).

(oh look, its the famous acting arm from Emmerdale :blush: :shades: )

Oh, and be careful whilst cutting, drilling and filing, I wasn't, and ended up like this..

Ok, put the plug in the hole,
and then install the wiring, I tapped into the existing 12V socket on the dashboard.
Rebuild the interior of the car, and it should end up something like this

:)P :)P

Then, sit back, lit up a ciggie, have a coffee, and look at what you've done with a smug expression. :drool:

Then test the plug with a device, I used an amber rotating beacon.
If you have done the install correctly, it will work.. :yahoo:
I however, blew a fuse, dismantled the cars interior to find the fault, then the :censor: thunderstorm started, finally noticed that I was both soaked through, and that I'd done a wiring error, corrected that, and the :censor: light started to flash..

Now the new bit..
I will now rate each modifications ease of installation as follows...

Ciggie count : 5
Coffee count : 5
Beer count : 0 - too early in the day for me
Injury count : 1
weather type: Thunderstorms i.e. crap

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Camus,

That was a great addition to your Maverick!!

Sorry to hear about your injury. The good news is you have 9 fingers left!!! :thumb:

Thank you for sharing.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Good job! I hope the famous arm/hand wasn't the one injured during the process. Gotta protect that money maker ;)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
RobtRoma said:
Good job! I hope the famous arm/hand wasn't the one injured during the process. Gotta protect that money maker ;)
haha. thats funny.

good job on the mod! i might have to do that one.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CrashNburn said:
RobtRoma said:
haha. thats funny.

Rest assured, the acting arm is safe and well (for now!), :thumb: but I'm glad you all like the modification, although I'm suprised nobody else has done it earlier :worry:
Or, they may have done it, and I was :boring: :boring:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
Camus,

I would love to implement the mod you expertly showed.

My social director and I are having "deep philosophical differences" over mod money to be spent on the Escape.

She would rather have other things before allow me the privilege of modding the Escape further. :wall: :( :wall:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
cbramsey said:
Camus,

My social director and I are having "deep philosophical differences" over mod money to be spent on the Escape.

She would rather have other things before allow me the privilege of modding the Escape further. :wall: :( :wall:
social director eh LoL. i married a "minister of war and finance". :lightning:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CrashNburn said:
cbramsey said:
Camus,

social director eh LoL. i married a "minister of war and finance". :lightning:
Ah ha, now the truth comes out !!! ;)
Is your wife a relative of my wife?, as they seem to have chosen the same "jobs!!" ;)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
:clap: Good install! :clap:

If you haven't hurt yourself while working on your car, your not really working. :shock: :rockon:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Wow, impressive, Camus!! :clap: You're on a roll!! Sorry 'bout the lil injury you acquired in the process but looks like you'll be okay. :heart:

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
camusdarrach said:
CrashNburn said:
RobtRoma said:
haha. thats funny.

Rest assured, the acting arm is safe and well (for now!), :thumb: but I'm glad you all like the modification, although I'm suprised nobody else has done it earlier :worry:
Or, they may have done it, and I was :boring: :boring:
Better get insurance on "The Arm" what if the famous "flick of the cig" signature move is damaged? :worry:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have done similar mods to work vehicles that I needed power points in the back of a station wagon/minivan/ what have you. And similar power points in the front for magnetic mount strob lights and radios for when I worked on airports. But never this extensive, like you did. I usually went down to Radio Shack and bought a couple cigar lighter kits that would surface mount and used the existing screw from an interior panel to hold the lighter receptical in place, and ran a wire under the door thresholds and carpets to the back, or up under the dashboard and mounted the reciptical under the dash. Never cut the interior or removed consoles. Then again they were lease cars and I did not want the agency to pay for repairs/damages when they were turned in after a couple years. ;)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jonas1022 said:
I have done similar mods to work vehicles that I needed power points in the back of a station wagon/minivan/ what have you. And similar power points in the front for magnetic mount strob lights and radios for when I worked on airports. But never this extensive, like you did. I usually went down to Radio Shack and bought a couple cigar lighter kits that would surface mount and used the existing screw from an interior panel to hold the lighter receptical in place, and ran a wire under the door thresholds and carpets to the back, or up under the dashboard and mounted the reciptical under the dash. Never cut the interior or removed consoles. Then again they were lease cars and I did not want the agency to pay for repairs/damages when they were turned in after a couple years. ;)
Ah, well I too dislike hacking, cutting, drilling panels etc, but I felt that in this particular case it would look " Factory Fitted", as most Ford UK models have them, even the Ford Fiesta.
Didn't realise that you worked "Airside", in my prvious job as a civil engineer, the last project I managed was the plane park for Jet2.com, and a new fuel farm, at Leeds Bradford Airport, so I ended up having to take the "Airside Driving Test".
I still have the magmount amber strobe that had to be placed on a road vehicles highest point, which flashes on/off, rather than having a rotator motor which the vast majority have.
Its very interesting working airside, if the passengers saw what actually went on behind the scenes, I bet they would never fly again :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
SSShhhhh!!!!

No one, but no one is to know what goes on out of sight of the flying public.

OK?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I didn't mean that you shouldn't cut, drill or otherwise modify the interior panels of your car. Just that I couldn't do it in clear conscience, knowing that the leasing agency (another Federal agency) would bill the FAA back for damages.

And we have gone to strobes several years ago. Motors for the rotating beacons got into the air to ground radios.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I would tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. It's a secret sort of thing, but with complete public knowledge. Something about Freedom of Information Act... :bag:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
escape08xlt said:
jonas1022 said:
SSShhhhh!!!!

No one, but no one is to know what goes on out of sight of the flying public.

OK?
:worry:
Yep, you're right to be worried!!! :lol:

I rather liked the " No Blame" policy, you could drive a vehicle into a plane and take one of its wings off, but, as long as you owned up ASAP, they took NO disciplinary action against you............ :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Wow Camy this is what I always wanted to do and didnt know that you ever did this!! Do you even need a power inverter then? I need more info cuz this is DEFINITELY a mod that I am doing this spring/summer :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts