Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Old Ford Footage- 100th Anniversary

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  stone 
#1 ·
If this is a re-run sorry, didn't see it on here if it's been posted before.

A co-worker sent me this, it's footage of the Ford assembly plant for the Model T, as well as footage of it being driven. It's very interesting from a manufacturing standpoint.

For those of us into 4x4, and you know who you are, Toward the end it shows some pretty impressive off-roading by a Model T. I believe it was SUVord talking about narrow tires, the Model T made good use of them it seems.

#3 ·
Yeah that last segment was cool. :thumb:

#5 ·
Very interesting, thx for the video!

I love especially the part between 4:10 to 4:19
the childrens are jumpin' and jumpin' like crazy, very funny

by the way , the model-T looks the same size as all our Escape hear!!! no...? And look like the sames heights??
Not sure, but anyway
Ford T-Escape

French

#8 ·
There was a reason for the cars having tall narrow tires. It's because there was little to no paved streets or roads outside of any city. Most cities didn't have paved roads with the advent of the automobile. The philosophy being that the tire would cut through the slimmy wet muck to the firmer ground and gain traction. The car manufacturers could have made shorter wider wheels (not by much), but even they knew traction was necessary for motivation. Hence, lots of ground clearance, skinny tires on tall wheels. At least until paved roads became more commonplace. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.