Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a little peeved that I bought a brand new Escape Limited only to find out that it's SYNC module hasn't got the GPS chip or antenna required to run the new Traffic, Directions, and Information application.

I was already impressed with the SYNC system and have pretty much come to the conclusion that it is little more than a very refined auxiliary input to the radio. SYNC only controls the off-board audio devices that the radio does not. The radio does not respond to voice commands. The SYNC module is available as a kit (part #9R3Z-14D212-A) for a variety of current Fords, but NOT the navigation radios... those that lack the "DVD" auxiliary input of the standard radios for back seat entertainment.

I'm pretty sure the GPS-chipped SYNC 3.0 is little more than a substitute box in the same place SYNC'd cars already have theirs. What's missing may be an antenna for the GPS chip to detect its position with, but I'm betting either the Siruis antenna wart on the roof has one in it -or- the new SYNC module needs its own. And I'm betting the new module will be offered as a kit just as the above kit is offered for non-SYNC'd cars now.

I have my dealer checking...

[mod]Moved to Audio/Video Mods.[/mod]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let's stay on this. I just got a new Mariner with the old sync in it and would love to upgrade to Sync 3.0. I think you're right that it will eventually come in a kit. Until then, I'll be looking around for the first wrecked Fusions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was a little annoyed when I found I wasn't able to get the upgrade Sync 3 software as well. If its just a kit, then it should be easy to replace.

I would guess there is a $10 a month subscription fee since the Sync option is a $365 option and you get the first 3 years free before needing to pay the subscription fee.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I want to point out that there are aftermarket head units that accomplish many of the same things SYNC does (perhaps more) and will have 10x the sound quality and connection capabilities for future upgrading.

Case in point, I just ordered a Pioneer F900BT head unit. It has speech recognition for music changes, navigation requests, phone calls, etc. It has 12 million POI's in the memory card-based nav system. It can connect to the live MSN Direct network for traffic updates, gas prices, movie times, weather forcast, etc. It can play DVDs, CD's, SD memory card pics, music, and vids. It has rear camera support. It can connect directly with iPods and control them via the touch-screen.

Most importantly for me and my audio builds, it has 3 sets of RCA outs for a clean amp signal, and tons of onboard processing to make anything sound good. Lastly, it has near infinite color-match back lighting capability. I think the color count is 32,000 or so.

eBay sells them for around $520 shipped or so, plus live cashback has 8% off right now. IMO, that's a pretty solid solution!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fourthmeal said:
I want to point out that there are aftermarket head units ...
I appreciate the alternatives, but that's not the topic of this thread.

Thanks to tmcphail here at escape-city.com, my local parts counter guy, and the technical staff at United Radio in Syracuse, NY... I believe I now have part numbers for the new module and antenna. 8S4Z18C963A and 8S4Z18C963H

They're so new though, they're not yet in the catalogs to be ordered. Patience... :peace:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress, would be cool to be able to upgrade the sync hardware with just a few parts! Wondering if it is going to work when upgrading or if they check against VIN to make the upgrade available on syncmyride.com

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll have to agree with FourthMeal.. The Pioneer unit is the way to go based on what you seem to be looking for.. IMHO. Being that I hate iPods and the compression an mp3 file has, so I wouldn't really give a rat's *** about SYNC if I had the option.. But then again, i'm not you and I don't know what you like, so I won't try and push anything on you. I think you should weigh your options, you'll probably end up paying more for the new SYNC system than you would for the Pioneer unit..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I pointed out to FourthMeal... not the topic of discussion.

Yes, there are alternatives. No, I'm not interested. Capice?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In other news... :roll:

I've been able to locate a an early model SYNC box and wiring harness as a possible candidate for Franken-SYNC. It has a FoMoCo harness and I may experiment first in my 2004 Escape XLT. It has the "Audiophile" radio with phone/auxiliary input... who knows, those desiring SYNC 3.0 in their newer Fords may find a small market for their old modules in older Fords or even non-Ford cars?

I will definitely be using the existing module in my 2009 Limited as a control example for hacking the spare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts