Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working last night (Halloween Eve), things were crazy as they usually are on the night before Halloween (I work as a police officer). As I was getting ready to get off shift, a call went out stating there was a motorcycle crash. I was just around the corner so I was first Officer on scene. What I saw was that a group of 3 motorcyclists were travelling together when they encountered a deer. The resulting crash killed both the deer and one of the motorcyclist. The other cyclist had serious head injuries. The 3rd one escaped hitting anything and did not crash.

My point to this is that none of the motorcyclist were wearing helmet's. The injuries (amazingly enough) to both the cyclist were relatively minor EXCEPT for the head injuries which is what took the life of one cyclist and will greatly reduce the quality of life of the other one So, for all you motorcyclist out there, please let this be a reminder to always wear a helmet. It is NEVER fun to have to do a next of kin notification.

Rant over!

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Wow!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I agree! Safety first! Probably would of had a different outcome if they were wearing helmets!

Is it required by law where you are to wear helmets?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they are not required by law in Florida as long as the rider has $10,000 in medical benefit insurance. They are required if the rider is under 21 but none of the rider's in this incident were under 21 years of age. Still a very sad case!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The Brain Bucket should be a must! Yeah I've heard all the stuff about helmet law suck etc... but if you don't want scrambled eggs in that egg crate wear a Gourd Guard!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
When I rode, I always wore a helmet... Even when I went to states that didn't require them. Safety first for me. I actually caught some crap from friends that rode Harly's but I didn't care. My sister had two friends die from motorcycle accidents. Last thing she needs is to loose a brother that way...

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Sad! I admit I don't always wear a helmet. It's not the law here but yeah, I know it's the smart and safe way to ride.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Terrible way to go. Most of the guys I work with ride and every time I hear a biker got killed in a accident on the news I always wonder if it's not one of them.

I like motorcycles, but ultimately decided 4x4's would be more useful and fun for me. I think I'm going to stick with toys that have 4 wheels, roll cages, and seat belts. Images like that make it all the more appealing to have a larger hunk of metal rolling down the road.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Dasha said:
Sad! I admit I don't always wear a helmet. It's not the law here but yeah, I know it's the smart and safe way to ride.
:rant: :stop: Let's please start wearing one all the time. I care about you and would be heart broken if something happened to you. Safety first! :heart:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yes helmets are important. I always wore one when I rode (I don't anymore)

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
They must have been Harley riders. They are the biggest group who do not believe in Helmets. I race Road Bicycles for years and would never go any where with out one. I won't get on my ATV with out it.

"Don't Wear A Helmet Be An Organ Donner" :thumb: :shades:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Helmets, Helmets, Helmets!!!
I think it is great that Nolescape reminded us the necessity of them with his last experience.
I'm still surprised that there are States in which helmets are not required by law.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Dasha said:
Get That Helmet On!!!!! :taz:

I love you and would be heart broken if something happened to you too. :heart:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 3 riders were all riding Harley's, and were all visiting from out of state. The one guy who did not crash told me he will never ride his motorcycle again without a helmet. It's too bad he had to witness one of his friends die in order for him to come to that decision.

These guys were not doing anything wrong, they had not been drinking, weren't speeding, just a couple of guys on vacation having a good time. Even it they were the best riders in the world, it is hard to account for the unexpected.

I love riding motorcycles and have been hit by a car once. I always wear a helmet because it's like my dad always told me and still tells me....."Dress for the wreck, not for the ride!".

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Good advice! Dress for the wreck, not for the ride. I have never heard that one before.

I always rode with a helmet on, and most of the time I wore gloves, heavy shoes, jeans and jacket as a minimum. If it was too hot to ride with those on, well I drove my air conditioned car or truck.

The saying I knew was: "$10 helmet, $10 head. What's your head worth?"

Currently, I do not ride. One of my co-workers does. He had a Harley police bike. Some gal with five kids, a cellphone and a Suburban ran over him. Literally! He survived, but only did so because he was wearing a helmet. He does have a sprained ankle from the way his foot touched down after flying through the air after being hit. Bike was crushed!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Colleen said:
Dasha said:
Get That Helmet On!!!!! :taz:

I love you and would be heart broken if something happened to you too. :heart:
Aww, that's sweet! :)
:heart: :heart: :heart:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
jonas1022 said:
I always rode with a helmet on, and most of the time I wore gloves, heavy shoes, jeans and jacket as a minimum. If it was too hot to ride with those on, well I drove my air conditioned car or truck.

I have a friend who stands by the statement:

If it's too hot to wear a helmet, then don't ride.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Tang said:
jonas1022 said:

I have a friend who stands by the statement:

If it's too hot to wear a helmet, then don't ride.
That's very similar to my mentality - if you don't want to wear a helmet, then buy a car, not a bike. I really cannot believe that helmet laws are not mandatory in all states.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
It should not have to be a law. Put an egg in your hand and drop it, that's your Brain with out a Helmet :shades:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts