Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I already have a 2009 escape and I am possibly looking for another one for the wife. I love my escape, but not sure about buying another one with an automatic (6F), as I don't really trust it (Ford rebuilt transmission already from failed calibration test + i hear stories online) as I hope to keep both new cars for at least 10 years.

I saw an 2009 xlt manual for sale locally, they seem really really rare. How does the manual transmission hold up? Anybody have any issues with it? I know this is also the first year of production for it after the redesign, so i am a bit nervous of buying another one.

Possibly looking at a ranger instead of an escape, any comments?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have no complaints with the 5 speed in my 06 although I only have 40,000Kms on it.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Not sure about the '09+ manuals but I've heard the previous generations were nearly bullet proof. Years back, I knew a guy that had over 100,000 miles on his Escape and treated it like poop. He purchased the car specifically for off-roading. I went with him one time and he was driving like a nut. He got into an accident that totalled the car so I'm not sure how much longer it would have lasted but he was thrilled with it.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I'm not sure if the manuals have changed. I know the motors did and the auto transmissions did as well. As for the rareness... I guess people don't want manuals anymore :shrug: and most of the people that do, don't come to E-C...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I thought you could only get a MT on the basic XLS version of the Escape for 2009 [here in the States.] The XLT and Limited Escapes only come with the AT [6speed.]

Thus, the limited availability of a manual in the model lineup and the general lack of Americans that like driving a stick-shifted vehicle all account for the extremely limited number of them being produced.

What is really fun though - you can get better MPG from a Manual Transmission than an Automatic since a human is better able to determine the road conditions [grade / traffic / speed limits] than the automatic offerings. So maybe... [crosses fingers] one day there will be a resurgance of MT offered vehicles?

Edit: Just looked in the 2009 order guide and the only offering of the MT was on the XLS, 4-cylinder, FWD.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
XLS doesn`t exist in Canada, only XLT. So you can get an XLT with a manual here.

Again, does anybody have a new generation manual? Does anyone know if changes were made in either 2008 or 2009?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.