Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who remember back to the NT days...any tricks on getting memory usage down? All I have is 32 MB. :cry:

Would disabling the disk cache work? It seems like this would free up more memory for applications. I use the notebook for web browsing, instant messaging, and word processing.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
About the only trick that I recall, isn't a trick at all. It's an upgrade. Go from 32 to 64Mb...? But then, I think my core memory is corrupt and that may have been something else caught up in my cache... :bill:

I'd perform a POR, but am not sure of the survivability rate doing that! :lightning:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is a POR?

I would upgrade the memory, but 32 MB is already the maximum. Besides, I have a feeling that ancient notebook EDO RAM would cost me hundreds of dollars today. :doh:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Er...is that just the reset button?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
That'll do the trick on consumer hardware... :)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny thing is...I don't have a reset button :shrug: :fan:

Do you think that disabling disk caching would free up some memory?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I don't think it would work to your advantage, but what do you have to loose? Try it, it might work just fine! Bottom line is that I for one don't know exactly what the results will be. I am not sure that you will gain anything. Usually the pc writes to disk a cach file if the ram isn't large enough to run your application. Then reads it again when it executes an instruction. When it runs out of space in ram it writes to the disk cach file again. It keeps doing that until the command has been completely executed.
At least, that is my understanding. It's a pc and some things that they do and why, are a mystery to me.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you have confused disk caching with memory paging. ;)

Disk caching is when a slice of RAM is reserved for file operations, and Windows will keep copies of recently accessed files loaded up in memory. With it enabled, file operations are much faster, but that means less memory available to applications, leading to increased paging. I am not sure if the tradeoff of less efficient file access for less pagefile usage will yield an overall increase or decrease in performance.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Fry's has new laptops with a Kabillion meg of memory and new software for under $500. Maybe more to your liking anyhow. :angel:

Then again, you won't have the challenge that you have laid down for yourself. :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts