Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When to use and when not to use it, very simple question. :)

GO YANKEES Opening night, wish I was there. :yahoo:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Usually, for everyday driving, leave it in overdrive. When you want to tow, or use engine torque to slow down (engine braking), like going down a long hill, turn overdrive off. The owner's manual gives better explanations than I do.

Yeah, I wish I was there at Yankee Stadium, too. I'd like to go to at least one home game before the Yankees move into their new stadium next season, but I don't see that happening. :(
Yesterday would have been the Yankees first ever regular season home game in the month of March, but it was postponed due to rain. :roll:

Anyway, go Yankees! :clap:

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
With me, if I go to 4x4 with my truck. I turn off the over-drive so I don't have to worry about unexpected shifting. In deep snow or ice I turn it off with the Escape for the same reason.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I go by the flow of traffic. If, I can maintain a constant speed of 45 mph or better. I'll leave it on. But if it's slow going in the 40 to 45 mph. I'll turn it off.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
What PK just said is what I usually did with my 'scape.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How do you know if its on or off :stop:

Also does it give you better gas mileage when its in use?

I have a 05 Escape and gas mileage sucks......

·
Registered
611 Posts
Saskbound said:

1. There should be a light on your dash panel. That lights up when it's turned off. Mine has a button on my column shifter to turn it off.
2. Makes little difference in traffic. Highway yes.
3. Remember, coasting is your best friend. Try to time the traffic signals. Also try to keep the shift RPM's below 3,000. I get my best MPG/MPL, if I keep the shifting points at 2,500 RPM. And no, I don't hold up traffic. If, someone doesn't like it, they go around. I let them waste there gas........ :thumb:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
There is an indicator light called "OD Off" that illuminates when OverDrive is defeated.

I turned off OverDrive when I towed a trailer back from South Carolina to Michigan.

For the most part I leave OD on. The problem occurs (for me) at the speed limit of 45 mph. That seems to be the speed where the transmission cycles between OD and non OD. If I have to drive at or near this speed, I will occassionally turn OD off to force the trans into 3rd gear from 4th.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
PollKat said:
Saskbound said:

1. There should be a light on your dash panel. That lights up when it's turned off. Mine has a button on my column shifter to turn it off.
2. Makes little difference in traffic. Highway yes.
3. Remember, coasting is your best friend. Try to time the traffic signals. Also try to keep the shift RPM's below 3,000. I get my best MPG/MPL, if I keep the shifting points at 2,500 RPM. And no, I don't hold up traffic. If, someone doesn't like it, they go around. I let them waste there gas........ :thumb:
What PK said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts