Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short my parents purchased our 2009 Escape XLT last summer as a gift for my graduation from college and my full-time job offer. I signed the paperwork for the car with my father, but the Registration for the vehicle is under my parents (mom and dad) name. Now that I am 23 years old and am the only person who drives the vehicle (parents don't know how to drive) I would like the vehicle to be under my name.

This is where it gets confusing, I am living in Queens now, but moving to New Jersey in about 3 weeks. I am not sure if I will need to get the vehicle registered in NJ or have it registered in NY state where I grew up and my parents still live and is the address on my NY state license?

Any input is appreciated.

· Premium Member
13,548 Posts
You've got to be careful with this. NJ passed (or is passing) a law about people registering vehicles out of state. They might think the vehicle is registered out of state for insurance reasons. They consider it fraud. I think you need to register in NJ. NY State has an entry on their FAQ's page for when the Registrant and the Owner are different people. I couldn't find anything similar on the NJ-DMV site. This is what I found there:

Moving to New Jersey Overview
New resident: transferring your out-of-state vehicle title
New resident: registering your out-of-state vehicle

Based on what I found online, I would call the NJ-DMV and ask.

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission: (609) 292-6500 or toll free in NJ (888) 486-3339
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.