Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the code I get when i got my car scanned. i Cleaned the MAF sensor but still at a loss witht his one. from a cold start i have to turn my escape on 4 times before it stays on and then it sounds like its choking. the idle jumps up and down, after it warms up it seems fine but does this every morning. it was doing it really bad before i had the coils and plugs switched out but still having the same issue. any ideas? Oh i have a 2001 Escape XLT 4WD

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

P0171 usually means a lean mixture, and cleaning the MAF is usually the first thing to try.

Since you've already done that, the next thing to look at is the fuel filter.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=787

HTH!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'll take a look at the service DVDs. Hang on!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I would say it's a vacuum leak somewhere. Check all your hoses and make sure there are no cracks or loose connections.

Some people spray propane to locate the leak when the idle jumps up (sucking in the propane)....I have NO IDEA if that is safe or not. :lightning:

Another trick is to spray some carb cleaner around the connections, and look for the same results as the propane - I have never gotten that to work for me, and with all the plastic around newer engines I would not use carb cleaner on them.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Squishy said:
I would say it's a vacuum leak somewhere. Check all your hoses and make sure there are no cracks or loose connections.

Some people spray propane to locate the leak when the idle jumps up (sucking in the propane)....I have NO IDEA if that is safe or not. :lightning:

Another trick is to spray some carb cleaner around the connections, and look for the same results as the propane - I have never gotten that to work for me, and with all the plastic around newer engines I would not use carb cleaner on them.
ive done the propane trick a lot of times, it works great, and is perfectly safe, or at least safe enough that ive never blown anything up :fire:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
A vacuum leak is listed as another possible cause, but a fuel filter on an '01 is probably due for a change anyway, and it's cheap to replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts