Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sanded, cleaned, 2 coats of rustoleum black wheel paint and 1 of clear coat and in my opinion they look pretty sick
only took my buddy and I about 6 hours of BS-ing and a fifth of captain morgan
the inside of the rims were also painted but you can't see in the pictures (she also needs a bath :) )

before:


after:




next - front window tints, painted drums and calipers and smoked tail lights, maybe headlights?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Does look good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Did you spray a couple coats of clear coat to get a more durable surface? I'm actually looking for the black steel American wheels. I think they are like 49.00 a piece, but if yours stay nice and not chip that is a great idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
I see the wheel weight is black too, did you paint it separate?

How you going to have them balanced, tape-a-weights? Your rim lip is black so any clip on weight will stick out like a sore thumb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
megascape said:
Did you spray a couple coats of clear coat to get a more durable surface? I'm actually looking for the black steel American wheels. I think they are like 49.00 a piece, but if yours stay nice and not chip that is a great idea.
yeah after 2 coats of black, i used a nice helping of rustoleum clear coat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Airmapper said:
I see the wheel weight is black too, did you paint it separate?

How you going to have them balanced, tape-a-weights? Your rim lip is black so any clip on weight will stick out like a sore thumb.
I didn't remove the rim, i just took the wheels off and taped newspaper all the way around underneath the lip of the rim, and also taped off the center - so no new balancing needs to be done
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
hattrick203 said:
Airmapper said:
I see the wheel weight is black too, did you paint it separate?

How you going to have them balanced, tape-a-weights? Your rim lip is black so any clip on weight will stick out like a sore thumb.
I didn't remove the rim, i just took the wheels off and taped newspaper all the way around underneath the lip of the rim, and also taped off the center - so no new balancing needs to be done
The weight sits on the outside of the rim, and to my knowledge all weights made in the US are light colored, either bare lead or powder coated steel (Which all weights should transition to eventually.) I noticed all manufactured black rims I've seen still have a light color rim so the light weighs don't stick out in color or mar the finish.

I'm pretty sure (not 100% positive, but reasonably confident) that you balance for the tire/ wheel combo, not just the wheel. Every new set of tires your wheel/tire combo is re-balanced by the shop. It shouldn't be terribly noticeable, but it depends on how well your wheel or tire was made. If it is out of whack it will vibrate. Wheel weights make sure it runs smooth as possible to reduce wear on mechanical parts.

If you can get the wheel service man to do it, you can still balance them with tape on weights, they hide inside the wheel behind the spokes, they look better than clip-ons, especially for "nice" rims where you don't want them visible.

I have to apologize, it's kinda like a pet peeve I have. I sort of know a lot about wheel weights, more than most anyone ever wanted to know. :bang:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Airmapper said:
The weight sits on the outside of the rim, and to my knowledge all weights made in the US are light colored, either bare lead or powder coated steel (Which all weights should transition to eventually.) I noticed all manufactured black rims I've seen still have a light color rim so the light weighs don't stick out in color or mar the finish.

I'm pretty sure (not 100% positive, but reasonably confident) that you balance for the tire/ wheel combo, not just the wheel. Every new set of tires your wheel/tire combo is re-balanced by the shop. It shouldn't be terribly noticeable, but it depends on how well your wheel or tire was made. If it is out of whack it will vibrate. Wheel weights make sure it runs smooth as possible to reduce wear on mechanical parts.

If you can get the wheel service man to do it, you can still balance them with tape on weights, they hide inside the wheel behind the spokes, they look better than clip-ons, especially for "nice" rims where you don't want them visible.

I have to apologize, it's kinda like a pet peeve I have. I sort of know a lot about wheel weights, more than most anyone ever wanted to know. :bang:
.....I'm aware of what the weights are and what they do.
I did not remove the rim from the tire so they do not need to be balanced. All I did was paint the rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CharlieJ said:
Great job on the rims. They look SWEET on your Escape! Post more pics when you finish the head and tail lights.
definitely. I should have 'em done within a month.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top