Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a wheel refinishing place, so I took a little time for myself this weekend to refinish my newly purchased wheels from Tom on the boards here. The wheels had some minor curb rash on one of them, and they were all pretty dirty and hard to clean, so I decided to repaint them.

I ended up mixing about 90% BMW black, 8% BMW M3 Gunmetal gray, and 2% silver metal flake... the color is really cool looking in person, I will update this thread this week when I mount the new winter tires (Michelin Ice-X) on the wheels and take some full shots of the truck :rockon:

-Mike

BEFORE PICS:

CLEANED and SCUFFED and ready to PAINT!

PAINT TIME~

DONE

Three HUGE coats of clear on there, looks like a nice layer of water :frozen:

I'll post pics later this week with them installed :wave:

EDITED:
Couple of cellphone pics till I can get some good shots!

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,599 Posts
Very nice looking wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
want to do mine? HAHA

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Those wheels look very sharp with the new color. I would have gone for more silver in the mixing process, but the results show that would have been too bright. :yes: Or at least for what I thought I would see at the end, which is what you actually achieved! Good Job!

I was looking at the first picture with the valve stems still in the wheel and thinking, "I hope he took those out." :worry: Last couple photos show, you do know what your doing! Tada! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Pimpin wheels!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Very nice!
For customers, what price range would this cost per wheel? Just curious...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I love the colour, the touch of silver makes them look like a powder coat finish. :thumb:
They should mask the :cuss: brake dust a little longer between washes as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the compliments peeps... here are a couple of crappy cellphone pics... I'll have to get the camera out and go take some good pictures when it starts snowing! :D

(PS- This IS indeed in front of Michael Jordan's house haha)

kkreit01 said:
Very nice!
For customers, what price range would this cost per wheel? Just curious...
Typically, it is between 95-150 per wheel :thumb:

·
Registered
232 Posts
mate very tight looking
gona do the same with my stockies and swap em when i feel liek it lol
but one critism the wheel weights are on the out side couldnt u have got them put on the inside

sweet any way dude

cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
escapedtroy said:
mate very tight looking
gona do the same with my stockies and swap em when i feel liek it lol
but one critism the wheel weights are on the out side couldnt u have got them put on the inside

sweet any way dude

cheers
Dude, I wanted to put the stick on weights inside, but the 15" wheel has absolutely no clearance between the brakes and the drum :(

I may have to get some black touchup paint and paint the weights to hide them a bit

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Worked out very nicely... :thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
escapedtroy said:
yeah dude get the ones they stick on the inside

or yeah touch up

either way sweet
Very few stick-on weights work with the 15" wheel. The ones that do have mere millimetres of clearance and would be torn off the moment an edge lifted. I use balancing beads so I don't have to deal with weights and can do the tires myself without a balancing machine. For me they work up to 140 km/h before I notice a slight vibration.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Squishy said:
Use balancing beads. No weights whatsoever.
i have them in my bike, they are aweosme!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
those look sweet. are you going to use the factory hub caps with them? i have those same rims on my escape

I had an old jeep that i pulled the steel wheels and sanded them then hit them with rustoleum primer then 3 coats of rustoluem industrial paint... 5 years later jeep is gone but the wheels are now on my ranger still look great...if i scratch them its just a trip to home depot for touch up....but i only had to do this once so far

1 - 20 of 21 Posts