Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Painting plastic trim

10K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  oskerb 
#1 ·
Ok so i am planning on painting all the light grey plastic trim on my green escape to black. has anyone ever done this before? when you take off the trim are there clips that will break and need to be replaced? help me get started!

#3 ·
Yes, there are clips that could break so be careful and be prepared to replace some.

Yes, you can paint cladding and other plastic pieces.

If you looking for a smooth finish be prepared for alot of sanding.

MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAN AND OIL, GREASE, BUG FREE or it will peel right off.

Xcape had his cone professionally and it seems to have turned out great.

#4 ·
krylon has a special paint for that stuff. its about 12.99/can i plan on doing mine this summer.

#6 ·
what color? i plan on painting mine black to match the rest of the escape. they make the mirrors blank, and the roof rack black, and the handles black, and the tires black, and i tinted the windows black. but they put on grey cladding.

#8 ·
i thought about calling the wrecking yard here, but they are outrageously priced. for example 75 bucks for a wiper motor thats 109 brand new.

#10 ·
black plastics. then just swap them out instead of painting them.

#13 ·
im pretty sure you just pull LoL.

#19 ·
I have done this, It cost me 30$ i got a few cans of plastic paint at walmart, it took 3 hrs and i didnt have to replace any plastic anchor srew things , mine were grey now black, it can be done , do it in a non dusty place and they dry in about 30 min takes about 4hrs before it is totally dry.

#21 ·
On the topic of plastic trim... has anyone else experienced the trim under the backdoors, next to the wheel well become gritty and lose it's smooth texture? Mine seems to look like there is dirt on it, but it's actually the plastic being rough, almost as if it had a layer of dirt on it. I believe it may possibly be from road salt in the winter?

#22 ·
Duplicolor also makes paints specific to this type of plastic these things are made of.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bumper.html

I plan to use this on ours when I have the extra $$ and time to do it. I'm sure it'll be better than the fusion plastic paints.

#24 ·
I've been meaning to PS mine, just haven't had much time to do it. And the little time i have had, I didn't think about it.

And my lower plastic is more of a light tan/brown color :roll: but the rest is all black. I've seen gray plastics too and they were a different color than mine.

#26 ·
OK, so I finally did it tonite, along with the graphite inlays to the rims that I'd like to do also.

Just wish I could have gotten the lower plastics to shine a lil more like the mirrors and air deflector but oh well, still gets me in the ballpark anyhow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.