Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're getting ready to take delivery of our new 2011 XLT Escape. During our test drive we noticed the warning indicator for the passenger air bag was on (the DW tends to be slightly underweight). We don't know if this is normal for the passenger side or not. We don't want the air bag to be disabled when she is riding in the front. Is there a way to modify/disable the passenger air bag sensor?

BTW-new to this site. Found it while searching for info about Escapes.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Welcome to the City! Glad you decided to sign up and join the crowd.

My two cents: the light used to come on when I'd throw my backpack onto the seat. I don't know what the threshold is, but I'm willing to bet the Blue Oval did a decent amount of research to determine when the airbag should be active or not. For a person sitting in the front under the designated weight cutoff, and assuming height by weight, I think the safety belt would be a million times more effective than the airbag in the event of an accident. I'd assume the airbag could cause more pain than protection...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. We have a CR-V and the same is true when I throw my backpack on the seat. I'm just not sure what the cutoff is for weight. You're probably right about the airbag.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
If I were to guess, I'd say 40 pounds, maybe 50. It might be in the manual somewhere or on the Internet...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tang said:
If I were to guess, I'd say 40 pounds, maybe 50. It might be in the manual somewhere or on the Internet...
Thanks. She's not that light. It might have been a fluke with test drive. Almost ready to pick up our new ride. Maybe by the weekend. :yes:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hello and welcome to the City!!

Well my Gf is quite slim and whe she is sitted properly on the chair its ok, however when she moves (as to take something for the glovebox, talk to someone in the back, etc) sometimes the airbag light come on, however is not always.
On the other hand, when any of my dogs (JRTs) sit on the front the light does come on. just my 0.2

·
Registered
467 Posts
molanojuan said:
Hello and welcome to the City!!

Well my Gf is quite slim and whe she is sitted properly on the chair its ok, however when she moves (as to take something for the glovebox, talk to someone in the back, etc) sometimes the airbag light come on, however is not always.
On the other hand, when any of my dogs (JRTs) sit on the front the light does come on. just my 0.2
doing the same with my son that weighting more than 90 lbs maybe 100+ and he have to be seaten in the right spot to avoid the deactivation of the airbag.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also think it is more than just weight that triggers the sensor. It also has to do with conductance/resistance. As in if you place a 90 lb weight on the seat, the sensor "senses" that it is not a person so the light comes on. Not sure what the technology is but is measures something in adition to weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts