Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335210,00.html

"Dirty Dancing" star Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is currently undergoing treatment, a representative for the actor said Wednesday in a written statement.

The statement was issued following a report earlier in the day by the National Enquirer in which the tabloid said Swayze, 55, had five weeks to live because doctors in late January had diagnosed pancreatic cancer that had spread to other organs.

However, Swayze's rep says the star is continuing his normal work schedule, including working on several unnamed projects, and Swayze's doctor says the reports of terminal cancer are unfounded.

"Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic," Swayze's physician Dr. George Fisher said in a statement.

For the past month, Swayze, has been traveling to Stanford University's prestigious cancer center in Palo Alto for radical chemotherapy, the Enquirer reported, which also quoted sources as saying he had received three doses of chemotherapy. The tumor shrank, but less than his doctors had hoped for, the Enquirer reported.

·
Registered
220 Posts
>>pancreatic cancer that had spread to other organs

That doesn't sound good at all, my Uncle died from exactly that...........

~John

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
That was really sad news. As jmorton said that is most always deadly :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
MadMax said:
that is most always deadly :(
Median survival from diagnosis is around 3 to 6 months; 5-year survival is much less than 5%[14] With 37,170 new diagnoses in the United States every year, and 33,700 deaths, pancreatic cancer has the highest fatality rate of all cancers and is the fourth highest cancer killer in the United States among both men and women

~John

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Very, very sad news... :cry:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
I hope the best for him!! I love Patrick Swayze!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I heard about this last week. From what I've heard they caught it early before it spread and he actually has a fairly good chance at beating the odds. I hope that's true. Even though we haven't seen him in a while I've always enjoyed his work and wish him nothing but the best and a speedy recovery. The big 'C' really sucks. It took my best friend almost 8 years ago. She was only 32....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Too many people are getting cancer if you ask me. It's a sad thing that he has caught it. I hope that it goes well for him.
My mom died of colon cancer in 05 and it was not easy...for anybody concerned. Actually, hospice took care of things nicely for her.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Bilbo said:
Too many people are getting cancer if you ask me. It's a sad thing that he has caught it. I hope that it goes well for him.
My mom died of colon cancer in 05 and it was not easy...for anybody concerned. Actually, hospice took care of things nicely for her.
Sorry to hear about your Mom. We've had cancer in the family too...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cancer is an awful thing, my much loved mother-in-law died of lung cancer about three years ago.

I had just sold my business & decided to be her main caregiver until she died so she wouldn't have to go to a nursing home.

I had quit smoking 30 years earlier, but I can tell you this: If I had still smoked, it damn sure would have stopped immediately when I saw what she went through.........

~John

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
jmorton10 said:
Cancer is an awful thing, my much loved mother-in-law died of lung cancer about three years ago.

I had just sold my business & decided to be her main caregiver until she died so she wouldn't have to go to a nursing home.

I had quit smoking 30 years earlier, but I can tell you this: If I had still smoked, it damn sure would have stopped immediately when I saw what she went through.........

~John
I quit 37 years ago... Cancer is a terrible, terrible way to go...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Blind guitar player Jeff Healey recently died of cancer. If you don't know who he is, check this out:

I saw both these guys live (although not together). Now both are gone..........

~John

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
jmorton10 said:
Blind guitar player Jeff Healey recently died of cancer. If you don't know who he is, check this out:

I saw both these guys live (although not together). Now both are gone..........

~John
There was a discussion of Jeff Healey on the Brian Setzer boards when he died. I had never even heard of him. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm sad all over again.. :sad:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Healey was incredible, here is the first song I ever heard him play years ago:

~John

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in June 2007, but that later proved to be the least of our families problems.
Thank God that it later turned out to be a begnin tumour, although I undergo constant tests to ensure that it is the case.
There was a certain member on another forum that always seemed to think that he had all the bad luck, untilit was pointed out by other users that he was just after the sympathy vote.
Life has its ups and downs, my faith in God has been tested to its absolute limits.
So to anybody out there who has cancer, you have my upmost sympathies and prayers.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
camusdarrach said:
I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in June 2007, but that later proved to be the least of our families problems.
Thank God that it later turned out to be a begnin tumour, although I undergo constant tests to ensure that it is the case.
There was a certain member on another forum that always seemed to think that he had all the bad luck, untilit was pointed out by other users that he was just after the sympathy vote.
Life has its ups and downs, my faith in God has been tested to its absolute limits.
So to anybody out there who has cancer, you have my upmost sympathies and prayers.
Wow, camusdarrach, that's really something! You know we all certainly hope and pray that you will be OK. Please keep us posted, OK?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Kiki said:
camusdarrach said:
Wow, camusdarrach, that's really something! You know we all certainly hope and pray that you will be OK. Please keep us posted, OK?
Cheers for that, life just seemed to then get worse.
After the initial diagnosis, which was the result of me collapsing at work in absolute agony and been taken to hospital by ambulance, my previous employer then sacked me, because he quote " couldn't afford to employ a manager with serious health problems, he needed staff he could rely upon" really nice send off after 5 years loyal service with no sick days off
but even worse luck was to hit our family when my wife gave birth to our second baby boy last september 11th (bad omen, that date), but 5 hours after a perfect birth, he suddenly stopped breathing, doctors took 3/4 to revive him, but his condition worsened rapidly the next day, and we had to make the hard decision to swicth his life support machine off.
Later, after a post mortom, it was discovered that after birth, he contracted an infection that was already existing in the hospital delivery room that effectively turned his blood acidic, and it ate up all his internal organs.
The hospital have since admitted that they had cut down on the cleaning budget, had the room been cleaned at least twice daily, Alex would still be alive today.
Sorry about the negative tone, and please do not think I have posted this for a sympathy vote, I just wanted to let you all know, as talking about it in this way has helped us greatly in coping.
Our first step on the road to gaining our life back, was purchasing the Maverick, ironically enough, since then life has got a lot better.
I even found a new job, which I greatly enjoy, and to cap it all, discovered this forum, contibuted to by great, friendly people.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear of the death of your baby. There is no pain like that in life. There is a group that helps parents cope with this situation called Compassionate Friends. Don't know if they have a chapter where you are, but you could certainly communicate with them via internet. We have a friend who lost an 18 year old son in a motorcycle accident who was a group leader for many years with Compassionate Friends. It is a wonderful organization and may be able to bring some comfort to you.

It's good to know that your life has taken a turn for the better job wise. Hopefully, you have a better employer this time around.

You will be in my prayers...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Kiki said:
I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear of the death of your baby. There is no pain like that in life. There is a group that helps parents cope with this situation called Compassionate Friends. Don't know if they have a chapter where you are, but you could certainly communicate with them via internet. We have a friend who lost an 18 year old son in a motorcycle accident who was a group leader for many years with Compassionate Friends. It is a wonderful organization and may be able to bring some comfort to you.

It's good to know that your life has taken a turn for the better job wise. Hopefully, you have a better employer this time around.

You will be in my prayers...
Thank you very much for your support
All what happened made me think long and hard about life, and it also brought home to me what is really important in my life, which is my (pregnant again!) wife, my little lad, and my dog Odie.
New job is great, and a great, understanding employer. Wage is only half of what I was previously earning, but the saying "money does'nt buy everything" is sooo true.
Please note, I in no way intened to hyjack this thread with my problems, it just seemed appropiate at the time.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This isn't a hijack...thank you for sharing what's happened to you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts