Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried replacing the PCV plastic hose junk with vacuum line but a few minutes after driving the line collapses. I'm having a hard time believing the PCV is pulling that much vacuum!? Has anyone managed to replace the plastic line with vacuum hose without it collapsing? Not using heater hose just in case anyone wondering.

02 w/3.0 4wd.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
If the vacuum line you are using is not reinforced, i.e. with threads or wire embedded into the rubber, it will collapse when vacuum is applied. The PCV should close the crankcase to suction when vacuum is very high, and then open it as vacuum drops. Have you replaced the PCV valve itself? It is on the 'wear item' list, and replacement is recommended at a mile/age interval.
Also note that some have reported the PCV failing, and allowing significant amounts of oil to be vacuumed from the oil pan, leaving the engine short on lubricant, some to the point of damage.
As I understand you cannot pull the PCV and shake it to determine if it is clogged. A new PCV will rattle. They are supposedly 'one time' insertions and may/will get damaged when removed(thus the one-time), so you can't really check them. I got a deep well socket to use to remove mine, but have not done so. Picked the socket that would 'grab' on the PCV corners to twist it out. Pliers did not get the job done as the access is so twisted and there's not much room.
tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've tried replacing the PCV plastic hose junk with vacuum line but a few minutes after driving the line collapses. I'm having a hard time believing the PCV is pulling that much vacuum!? Has anyone managed to replace the plastic line with vacuum hose without it collapsing? Not using heater hose just in case anyone wondering.

02 w/3.0 4wd.

Thanks
Converted to other pressure measurements, 20 inches of mercury (in.-Hg) is equal to: (rounded to the nearest 10,000th)
9.8220 PSI. o_O in the negative btw , then add +14psi roughly to that in the positive (atmospheric pressure) , 20 vacuum (in.-Hg) is at idle roughly again .

67,727.7800 Pascals.
0.6772 Bar.

i needed a calculator and looked it up , that is why they are reinforced hoses , i hope is s roughly correct .

i needed a calculator and looked it up , that is why they are reinforced hoses , i hope is s roughly correct .
Seen that trick (which ain't) with a steel can , use a flame and burn out the air inside , quickly put on cap and watch the can slowly get crushed just by the atmospheric pressure as if by magic , there might be a youtube video of it ?

Tis why they are called Naturally Aspirated engines , air is actually pushed in and not sucked in as the piston going down with the intake valve open is creating a low pressure volume so the atmospheric pressure (14 and a bit psi) forces its way in , natural supercharging lol .

·
Registered
150 Posts
In addition...

BTW, make sure the fresh air inlet on the other valve cover is not obstructed. IIRC, on the Duratecs, there's a hose from the fresh air intake that supplies fresh air to the crankcase to replace the air withdrawn through the PCV valve.

Also, make certain you're using a Motorcraft or Ford PCV valve, not something aftermarket. The airflow needs to be precise through the valve and aftermarket replacements can be hit or miss.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
This particular PCV valve is mid-teens in cost. USD. It is not a $3-5 Fram as
SHO says. You want a Motorcraft.
tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts