Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is one pcv valve as good as the next? The device seems so darn simple.
RockAuto has a Motorcraft unit for $14. Autozone has a cheapy brand for two bucks.
From what I've been able to ascertain about the Ford emissions system etc, you're better off getting Motorcraft parts... such as the oem IAC valve & the DPFE sensor. But I don't know if it also applies to the pcv valve.

So, are there any pcv valve experts around who can say yea or nay as to whether or not it matters which one you get.
The one on the Escape XLS 4-cyl is kinda hard to get to. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would only use OEM Motorcraft parts on anything related to engine performance. Is saving $12 really worth trying to troubleshoot some mysterious problem down the road?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, like I said, the pcv valve is such a simple device. It's just a mechanical check valve - not electrical.
If we were talking about a DPFE sensor or an IAC valve, then there'd be no question as to whether or not to go with oem. I'll keep digging for more info on the darn things. Thanks anyway, though.

PS: "you get what you pay for." Interesting statement in regards to a Ford - kinda perversely absurd. :lol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And that goes back to the original question which may be unanswerable. The opposite argument could be made that Ford is simply price gouging on a simple, virtually identical part. The local Ford dealer wants $28 for the part! Nuts. This is probably one of those shot-in-the dark coin flip type of deals.

On a related note does anyone know exactly where the pcv valve is located on the 2002 XLS 4-cyl?

PS: The Chilton manual says it's in the valve cover... it ain't.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
hurk said:
Well, like I said, the pcv valve is such a simple device. It's just a mechanical check valve - not electrical.
If we were talking about a DPFE sensor or an IAC valve, then there'd be no question as to whether or not to go with oem. I'll keep digging for more info on the darn things. Thanks anyway, though.

PS: "you get what you pay for." Interesting statement in regards to a Ford - kinda perversely absurd. :lol:
Be nice now, they didn't take the loans :hyst:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, as a long time Ford owner, ya take yer shots when the opportunity presents itself. hee. :lol:

So, does anyone know where the pcv valve is located on the 02 XLS 4-cyl?

The fordparts.com site has partial diagrams that're somewhat helpful. The crankcase ventilation system diagram shows that the pcv valve is connected to the oil separator, but that doesn't help... The separator might be tucked in behind & under the exhaust manifold maybe - not sure... but I still don't know where it or the pcv valve are. :blush:

·
Registered
16 Posts
New user here and first post:

I would like to add one more part to the OP's question.

I see there is a PCV valve with and without a heater. The one w/ the heater is the 20 some dollar part. Being a Minnesota resident is there some reason to go w/ a heated version due to icing issues in winter temps? Do all these Escapes have a wiring harness compatible with a heated PCV valve?

Motorcraft P/N EV267 is non heated, EV-276 is heated according to Oreilly Auto Parts. I have an '06 Escape XLT, 3.0, 4WD.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/searc ... vi=1432372

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
hurk, I have the escape workshop manuals and Squishy (helped me a bunch so far) has posted manuals on this site too. I can look and post up though, I have a 4I as well.

muchgood - not sure if we have a "heated" one, usually only canadians get the heated stuff form what I've noticed on other cars.

Here we go:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3895&p=72591&hilit=pcv#p72591

I bought mine from the dealer, dont remember the cost but it was like 12-16 I think...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for trying, but mine is the 2002 2.0L I-4, so it's not the same engine. My mistake for not supplying complete information. The diagrams aren't there anyway. :shrug:

I'm fairly sure now that the pcv valve is in plain site on the front of the engine, where I kinda thought is was all along. I won't know for sure until I get it out - I tried doing it by hand but it's a tight squeeze.

As for a replacement, the owners manual lists one part number. The Ford dealer shows a different part number that supercedes another part. The om part is superceded to yet another part number. The prices for the various PCVs range from $11-28 from the dealer.

Off-topic but regarding the Ford dealers. When I first bought the vehicle, I swung by to see if they had any manual transmission gear oil. They didn't have any. So, I asked how much it would be for them to change it. They said they've never done it & stated that the trans gear oil never needs changing. I didn't believe that for a second, so I questioned their info. So the guy contacted one of the service mechanics, who supposedly referenced a manual & said the same thing. I left. Then I called a couple more Ford dealers - no help. One said my vehicle uses automatic transmission fluid: I politely but adamantly informed them repeatedly that the vehicle has a 4-cyl engine w a manual transmission. They kept telling me it uses ATF. gee.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pcv's are not such simple parts, I used to work for Standard Motor Products, which sold them.

The springs and plungers are calibrated to move and close or open the valve at the right time. We used to plot curves to check performance of the valves.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a major aftermarket brand like Standard, or Borg Warner. But their valves don't sell for 2 bucks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent. Thank you.

To muchgoodmojo: I know what gear oil to get. The Ford dealers didn't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Think I'll throw a monkey wrench into the mix for the Tranny oil.My workshop manual states SAE 75W90 Gear Oil F32Z-19C547-MA.But in the drain and refill section of the manual it says to use Mercon which is an ATF.Troubling. Then I looked at the link to the Ford site for manuals and it says use
Manual transaxle
Motorcraft SAE
75W-90 Gear Oil
F32Z-19C547-MA WSS-M2C203-A1
and if you go to the foot notes the 2 refers to using ATF.Even more troubling.I remember working on these transmissions in the late 80's and 90's and you could have either or.My suggestion would be to replace what's in it.Pull the speed sensor out of the top of the transaxle (it's basically your dipstick) and see what's in it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is perplexing. gee.

75W-90 GL-4 is what the owner's manual specifies, so that's what I used. I changed the gear oil a year ago & used Royal Purple 75W-90 since it was the only one I could find that specified GL-4. I'm pretty sure the old stuff was gear oil, but I don't remember. If it was ATF, I think I would've noticed. I owned a Ranger Supercab for 20 yrs, so I'm kinda familiar w gear oil, particularly the smell. But I don't recall if I did a simple sniff test or not in regards to the old stuff that was in the transmission.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Have you used Royal Purple in the past. I know the show Truck You used it pretty often when building rigs. I figure if they use it w/o advertising it all the time it should be a pretty decent brand. I know at the end of this last season they were advertising Royal Purple. But they had been using it since I started watching the show.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No - I'd never used Royal Purple before - it seems kinda gimmicky, but it was the only GL-4 gear oil I could find.
In my old Ranger I used Valvoline 75W-90.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts