1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consumers Urged To Avoid Peanut Butter Products
At Least 6 Killed In Salmonella Outbreak
Saturday, January 17, 2009

WASHINGTON -- Federal health authorities are urging consumers to avoid eating foods that contain peanut butter until they can learn more about a deadly salmonella outbreak.

But the FDA said there's no indication of problems with peanut butter sold in jars at supermarkets.

Investigators are focusing on peanut paste and peanut butter produced at a Georgia plant owned by Peanut Corp. of America. Its products are distributed to institutions and food companies but are not sold directly to consumers.

Because of the concern, a number of manufacturers are recalling products made with peanut butter as a precaution. Kellogg's has recalled 16 products including peanut butter sandwich crackers and two varieties of peanut butter cookies.

The Midwest supermarket chain Hy-Vee is recalling products made in its bakery departments with peanut butter. And Perry's Ice Cream said it's recalling some of its products that contain peanut butter.

The outbreak is blamed in six deaths and more than 470 cases of illness in 43 states. And it's renewed calls for tougher food safety laws. At least six people have died.

The Kellogg recall includes Austin and Keebler branded Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, as well as some snack-size packs of Famous Amos Peanut Butter Cookies and Keebler Soft Batch Homestyle Peanut Butter Cookies.

A peanut grower is also being looked at, raising the possibility that contamination may have occurred before peanuts reached the processing plant.

Here is the link:
http://www.wsoctv.com/health/18501784/detail.html

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Well since I haven't had any Peanut Butter in a couple years I guess I don't have anything to worry about. It seems like our country is having more, and more problems with germs getting into our food production!! :bang:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
:censor:

Thanks for the warning Colleen!

·
Registered
390 Posts
We have a peanut allergy in our house, so none in about 7 years.
IM Healthy brand soynut butter is a tolerable substitute (creamy not chunk) especially if disguised under some jelly. My son and daughter have learned to love it.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Hmm...I'll take that peanut butter ice cream. A little salmonella can't hurt me. :cigar:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts