Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--I guess you've seen my posts about my daughter's (Karen) music videos.
Well, my grandaughter's, Karen's daughter, husband's band will be playing at the newest
Horror attraction on the East coast. My daughter will be taping them that night.
Pennhurst was closed over 25 years ago and opened last
week as one of those horror attractions. The l/2 owner, also runs the famous 'Bates Motel' which is 3/4 of a mile down the road from our house (and ties up traffic every night til Halloween).
Looks like we have three of the greatest Horror attractions on the east coast if you count in Eastern State Penitentiary in Phila, which is suppose to be the creepiest.

I'm kinda torn about attending, as one of my best friends Sister, who had Downs Syndrome, died in Pennshurst under appalling conditions before the State finally shut if down.

Anyhow, if you live in or near the area, the Band 'Double Planet' will be appearing at the Asylum
Oct. 23, at 6:30 to 11:00 PM-------I'm going to try to hitch a ride with the girls to be SCARED STUPID!

http://pennhurstasylum.com/
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&ti ... 5718069006
http://www.thebatesmotel.com/
http://halloween.easternstate.org/halloween

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
OMG, I've seen that place on Ghost Hunters. Love, love paranormal shows. My hubby would go there in a heartbeat...I would too as long as nothing followed me home. :worry:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
A friend of mine wanted to go. She couldn't get enough people to commit... Sorry to hear about your friends sister. Glad they closed the place down...

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Dasha said:
OMG, I've seen that place on Ghost Hunters.
So Have I. :yes:

Dasha said:
Love, love paranormal shows.
Me too!!! I also love to go on ghost walks when we are on vacation. The paranormal is fascinating to me. Hubby isn't buying it, but goes along because he knows that I am really into it. Our daughter is really into it too.....our son feels the same as hubby.

Dasha said:
I would too as long as nothing followed me home. :worry:
Me too! :D

Thanks for posting this, Estelle! :) I will check out the links more closely when I have more time.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Please, I think I'm in need of some help here.
How can a place of suffering and mistreatment of helpless souls be turned into an entertainment
venue?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
SUVord, The passage of time (25 years since it closed) tends to dim the memories of those of us who knew of such places, and younger people see it as "ancient" history. Up here in the Salem Massachusetts area, the same thing happens as every Halloween we "celebrate" the Salem Witch Trials. It becomes easier to disassociate the events from the place. It's the same reason we can make comedies of war (Inglorious Basterds, very funny movie).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SUVord said:
Please, I think I'm in need of some help here.
How can a place of suffering and mistreatment of helpless souls be turned into an entertainment
venue?[/quot

---That's why I said I was torn about going there. A lot of the inmates are
still alive too. Some relatives tried to stop the ghost walk, but a judge ruled
against them. He said the new owners had the right to do with the building
what they wanted as long as they conformed to local building codes etc.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Dear Estelle2 and Great Escape 2004,
Thank you for your replies which I find them both, rational and totally understood.
It never crossed my mind to pass any judgement on any member of the board but the authorities and the Institutions which have the final word.
The famous "Titicut Follies" documentary of 1967 by Frederick Wiseman should have taught something to todays authorities on the subject, beyond the borders of Massachussetts which apparently decided to ban the film in its state for many years.
As for artistic freedom it is a different story altogether.
Forgive me if my post got somewhat heavy and I wish you all a pleasant Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
"Ghost hunting" is becoming increasingly popular here in the states. I recently read that there are as many as 7 shows (I think) currently airing in the states that are based on paranormal activity. They visit and document places like this that cannot be easily sold or re-purposed because of the stigma attached to them. Because of the recent popularity, the owners finally found a way to recoup some of the costs involved in owning a place like this.

Sure it is an odd use of the place and in a way disrespectful to the people that were mistreated and/or killed there, but in my mind it's also a good way to learn about, and hopefully not repeat, what's happened in the past. I never knew about places like this until the shows started.

I'm not really big on being scared... Part of me wants to visit out of curiosity, part of me wants to visit to pay tribute to those that were mistreated and/or killed there, and part of me wants to visit just to try to confirm that there is an afterlife. Part of me doesn't want to go at all for fear of bringing a bad ghost home with me...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RobtRoma said:
"Ghost hunting" is becoming increasingly popular here in the states. I recently read that there are as many as 7 shows (I think) currently airing in the states that are based on paranormal activity. They visit and document places like this that cannot be easily sold or re-purposed because of the stigma attached to them. Because of the recent popularity, the owners finally found a way to recoup some of the costs involved in owning a place like this.

Sure it is an odd use of the place and in a way disrespectful to the people that were mistreated and/or killed there, but in my mind it's also a good way to learn about, and hopefully not repeat, what's happened in the past. I never knew about places like this until the shows started.

I'm not really big on being scared... Part of me wants to visit out of curiosity, part of me wants to visit to pay tribute to those that were mistreated and/or killed there, and part of me wants to visit just to try to confirm that there is an afterlife. Part of me doesn't want to go at all for fear of bringing a bad ghost home with me...
--I don't know about bringing one home with you, but I have heard of bringing something home with you when buying an antique.

Maybe we should start a new thread called "my experience with the paranormal''.
We have had many experiences in our family with the unexplained.
Years ago, I use to read Tarot cards myself, as a fun thing, until the stuff I read started coming true. Then really scary things happened, and I tossed the cards even though they were quite expensive to purchase.

Of the scary attractions in our area, Eastern State, in Philly, is probably the closest to you and it is suppose to be by far the most scary according to people I
know who took the tour on Halloween week.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
---Colleen,---- I was reading the Tarot cards for My Brother's musical group in the 70's
after their practice session.
My brother lived in our deceased parents home and
the house was practically unfurnished.
We were sitting around in the living room on
folding chairs. ( Now, keep in mind, My Brother's group, which was really taking off in
the Disco era, and just got a gold record, see their songs below,

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... stone&aq=0

was in a tragic accident two month's prior, going to a 'Gig' at the NJ shore, and two of their group were killed. They were broadsided by a car full of drunks, running a red light.
This was their first practice with the two new members and the one I was reading for was new to the group.)
I started reading his fortune, when all of a sudden it sounded like
stuff was being thrown around the kitchen, pots, pans, dishes, furniture etc.
We all ran into the dark kitchen, put on the light and nothing was amiss. We checked around the cabinets etc., Nothing.
Again, we gathered in the living room and I started again.
The crashing begin again. We went back and not only checked the kitchen, the attic and basement, bedrooms etc. Since there wasn't any furniture nothing appeared thrown about. The outside doors were locked.
Needless to say, I stopped the reading, packed up the cards and got rid of them when I
got home.
I have another story I'll post , that happened to my Brother more recent, in that same house two years ago........ A real visible ghost.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Colleen said:
Estelle, I would be VERY interested in hearing more about your paranormal experiences!!
---Colleen,---- I was reading the Tarot cards for My Brother's musical group in the 70's
after their practice session.
My brother lived in our deceased parents home and
the house was practically unfurnished.
We were sitting around in the living room on
folding chairs. ( Now, keep in mind, My Brother's group, which was really taking off in
the Disco era, and just got a gold record, see their songs below,

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... stone&aq=0

were in a tragic accident two month's prior, going to a 'Gig' at the NJ shore, and two of their group were killed. They were broadsided by a car full of drunks, running a red light.
This was their first practice with the two new members and the one I was reading for was new to the group.)
I started reading his fortune, when all of a sudden it sounded like
stuff was being thrown around the kitchen, pots, pans, dishes, furniture etc.
We all ran into the dark kitchen, put on the light and nothing was amiss. We checked around the cabinets etc., Nothing.
Again, we gathered in the living room and I started again.
The crashing begin again. We went back and not only checked the kitchen, but the attic and basement, bedrooms etc. Since there wasn't any furniture nothing appeared thrown about. The outside doors were locked.
Needless to say, I stopped the reading, packed up the cards and got rid of them when I
got home.
I have another story I'll post , that happened to my Brother more recent, in that same house two years ago........ A real visible ghost.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Wow! Estelle, that is fascinating.....and very scary! I am not sure how I would react if something like that happened in our home. Probably would talk hubby into putting the house up for sale. :lol: I really wouldn't mind though if it was a nice ghost.

My daughter experienced something strange when we first moved into the home we are living in now in 2001. She was coming out of the bathroom one evening and said that she walked straight through a guy in a red shirt. :shrug: This only happened the one time. We purchased this home new but I guess that the land it is sitting on isn't new.......

Another time (years ago) while we were camping our daughter got up one night to go to the bath house. When she was walking back she said she saw someone sitting in one of our lawn chairs (she thought it was my husband). As she got closer the guy disappeared. :shrug:

The paranormal really does fascinate me. I am the type of person that if I ever were to see a ghost I would try to help them to move towards the light. We go out ghost hunting when we go to Charleston, SC every year. We have also been on ghost tours down there. Like Rob said, we have learned a lot of history and also about some of the terrible conditions inflicted on those back then, especially in the old City Jail in Charleston. (That has to be the scariest place that we have ever been). For example,this one woman was hung for leaving something burning on her stove and accidentally burning her neighbors place down! How atrocious!!
We were in the Provost Dungeon on a tour in Charleston, when my daughter and I saw these chains start to move (very slowly) on their own. Nobody was near them. I have taken some strange pictures down in Charleston which may or may not be paranormal. :shrug:

Estelle, if you have other stories please tell us. :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Colleen---Sounds like you have experienced some unusual events yourself.
Your Daughter seems to have some pyschic ability too.

My brother, the one who still lives in our Parents old house, had this experience two years ago.
He woke up in the middle of the night, with his wife sleeping next to him, sensing something strange in the room.
He looked over towards the bedroom door, which was open, and there stood a woman
around 5' tall. She had short blonde or white hair. He couldn't make out her face without his
glasses. She held up her hand which was holding a Pen. Then she faded away.
He fell back to sleep.
The next morning, upon getting up and walking out of the room he saw the Pen
laying on the floor in the doorway. He picked it up and saw it said 'Penn State University' on the pen.
None of his children were attending any College so they didn't know where it came from.
He called me immediately, and I told him my kids didn't attend Penn State, but our
deceased Sister's kids did years ago. None of them lived nearby, one in Arizona, one
in Europe and the other in a town 50 miles away.
I later found out that my sister's oldest son, who lives alone, fell
down the stairs and broke his thigh bone. He lay on the floor for hours, blacking out, before he could drag himself to a phone get help.
Our sister, Patsy, fit the description of the ghost.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts