Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I'll admit it. I'm a perfectionist. Obsessive-Compulsive. Anyone else? If so, how do you deal with it?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Perfectionist and OCD? Wow! You hit the jackpot. The best way to deal with it is to channel the energy in a positive direction, otherwise you drive yourself and everybody else crazy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kiki said:
Perfectionist and OCD? Wow! You hit the jackpot. The best way to deal with it is to channel the energy in a positive direction, otherwise you drive yourself and everybody else crazy.
"Channel the energy in a positive direction"? What do you mean?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
jhande08 said:
Kiki said:
"Channel the energy in a positive direction"? What do you mean?
Is your perfectionism and OCD causing a problem in your life or do you think you have it under control? If not, find something that you are interested in and become the best at it; whatever that might be. Use the energy from the perfectionism to make every situation that you are in better for your having been there or improve your circumstances or environment where ever you might be. Things like that.

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Big Chris said:
My Wife must be a perfectionist....She married me after all! :)P :lol:
...and must REALLY like a challange :D

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
How about using your perfectionism to post the most kills on Halo 3, then talk alot of smack? lol

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
jhande08 said:
Yeah, I'll admit it. I'm a perfectionist. Obsessive-Compulsive. Anyone else? If so, how do you deal with it?
Same here, and I deal with it by trying to spend less than an hour on whatever it is I'm obsessing over. Some things naturally take longer than that (such as putting up house siding or a roof), but I always try to focus on the bigger picture when I realize that I'm spending too much time on one thing.

:bang:

It's never easy, that's for sure. And, unfortunately, I don't really tolerate incompetence and/or stupidity very well. Maybe that's why this site exists.

:D

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Good advice Jpark. I'm a little OCD myself and I do the "spend too much time on one thing" trick alot myself. I'll have to start using the countdown timer on my phone lol.

I'm learning to tolerate incompetence/ stupidity- I work for the gov't! :hyst:

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
....it's way worse for the people around us. :bang: :BB2 :mad: :rant: :doh: :censor: :cuss: :spank:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
A buddy of mine has a model railroad that he works on, and has been for years. He has a train room in the basement and whenever he gets all cranked up about something, or can not make a decison on another project he is working on he will take a time out and work on the train set up. :stop:

It is aptly enough named, "Nevadun Railroad". :D

I highly recommend something of that nature to channel any angst you might suffer. :yes:

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Another way to keep perfectionism from driving you nuts. When someone is working for you and they're not doing the job that you expect, first I break it down into small events. "I'm curious, what was you're thought process behind your decission to accomplish the task in that matter?" Many times when they verbalize the process, they hear themselves actually say what they did wrong. If not, I ask, "What might the result have been had you done (blank) different?" Sometimes they come-up with a better result themselves. The hardest one for me is delegating a task that has specific directions. I ask, "Did you READ the directions?" If the answer is "Yes" I ask, "Where in the directions did it say to do(blank)? Then the second-guessing the directions begins..."Well, I THOUGHT they MEANT (blank)....That one's tough for me.

When it comes to myself...When it comes to a problem that I beat my head :wall: against the wall trying to solve, I too allow only so much time.If I haven't solved it, I put it away for a day or two...I'm always amazed how many times I've come back to something and the answer is right there in front of me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts