Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to find much of anything for my 2008 escape with the 2.3L fwd performance wise and exterior?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
well I got a 2.3L and have been looking around some...
Weapon R makes a SRI intake
superchips makes a xcal3 for a tuning solution (eco, performance tunes)
I heard from someone theres replacement exhaust headers.
a cat back exhaust

I was thinking of ordering a xcal3 and weapon r intake very soon to get my mileage up.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
There was a thread on the Ford Enthusiast site about using Focus performance upgrades on the engine. :( I'd post up a link, but I haven't been there in a while and doubt that I could find it again. Basically, do a search online. Your bound to find somethings doing a simple search. We have a 2.3L in the Tribute, but I have no desire to upgrade the power plant.

There really isn't much out there without going to the government surplus sites. If you have a luggage rack you can convert it to a JATO rocket motor mount :doh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Find Focus/Mazda 3 parts for the 2.0L and 2.3L Escapes/Tributes and see if they will fit under your hood. This is what I seem to be coming across. Not many people make parts specific to these SUVs, but the engines are near identical. Just fit into a different engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I wouldnt see a probelm cross using parts from other vehicles as a motor is a motor. Only clearance and computer based parts can/are issues

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I pulled my 4x4 fuse from the passenger kick fuse box and that actually gave it some pep from a dig. But when it gets cold/snowy out again I'll put the fuse back in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So you effectively disabled the rear drive?
Less drivetrain losses...more efficiently puts power to the wheels (probably better mileage too)...
As long as that isn't going to damage your 4WD system and you don't have traction issues, I think you are good :thumb:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
its easier to break traction in the rain but only from a stop. This engine is pretty torq-less with 4wd. My dad did the same with his v6, I need to call him and see if he got better mileage as well. I think mine has gone up 1-2mpg's in town.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like the torque converter stall is too low to be useful. It doesn't allow the RPMs to climb enough to make much power when you jump on the gas. 4WD makes for more losses in power and better traction. In 2wd when the tires slip a little, the RPMs increase and you are making a little more power + less losses to the drivetrain = potentially faster acceleration. Anybody who ends up replacing a torque converter might want to consider a higher stall converter if it is available.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
On dry roads that is partially true, meaning it holds true only if you are in a straight line.But on wet roads or off-road you achieve better accelaration with 4 wheel drive.
As for the torque converter, if one is interested he can have his powertrain remapped so that the gear shifts occure at the desired RPMs.
Please forgive me for repeating myself and say it again: It is not a good idea to nulify the AWD system on these cars...and remember that not all dry roads are the same.
Most likely, if you calculate the yearly savings in dollars and cents...

·
Registered
51 Posts
So does pulling the fuse not hurt the powertrain? I wouldn't mind trying it to save fuel but don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Please, I do not find it appropriate to ask for the consent on issues that deal with security and safety issues.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
yeah, pulling the fuse is all up the the owner and their own discretion. With only fwd and in rain it does feel different since the back end offers no help.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
NIce link dude!!!
Cosworth is great tuners

just bought stock 2.3l Escape 06'....am i wright it got camshaft chain inside the engine...not belt?????????

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yep, as far as I know all Duratec engines (4 and 6 cyl) have timing chains and not belts.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I should update my 4x4 fuse pulling thing. I ended up not really seeing a noticeable mpg increase. I didn't track it well though either. I live in a hilly town and in the fall/winter drive randomly and hard around corners to slide the back end out a little...so ya I'm not a good person to track mpg ;) So the fuse is back in. I spend too much on my summer car, otherwise I'd get a sct3, intake maybe exhaust for this escape. Thing is sooooo slow ;)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
escape05xls said:
I should update my 4x4 fuse pulling thing. I ended up not really seeing a noticeable mpg increase. I didn't track it well though either. I live in a hilly town and in the fall/winter drive randomly and hard around corners to slide the back end out a little...so ya I'm not a good person to track mpg ;) So the fuse is back in. I spend too much on my summer car, otherwise I'd get a sct3, intake maybe exhaust for this escape. Thing is sooooo slow ;)
You are right that you did not see any real differences.The only differences have to do with extra weight.So, if you have a AWD and disengage the system, the gains corespond to almost nothing , since you still carry that extra load, which is a lot.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
SUVord said:
escape05xls said:
You are right that you did not see any real differences.The only differences have to do with extra weight.So, if you have a AWD and disengage the system, the gains corespond to almost nothing , since you still carry that extra load, which is a lot.
well that and the drivetrain parasitic loss is still there. I mean If you really watched it or did a real test, then maybe you'd see 1-2 mpg gain. But I drive HARD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts