Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Ford Escape Limited 3.0 V6 with 24K miles and was wondering what moderatley expensive $50-$1,500 upgrades I could make to the engine, exhaust, drivetrain to make it preform better and last longer.

Thanks!

· Premium Member
7,658 Posts
CTB said:
I have a 2010 Ford Escape Limited 3.0 V6 with 24K miles and was wondering what moderatley expensive $50-$1,500 upgrades I could make to the engine, exhaust, drivetrain to make it preform better and last longer.

Thanks!
Since I can't tell whether you have taken a look around or not, here are some basic ideas. If you get the chance, I'd browse to kill time and also get some ideas.

Exhaust upgrade/replacement is $250 - $500 before labor.

Wheels and tires will vary on what you get.

Shocks to either increase or decrease the height of your car will depend on the brand and the height difference.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Air intake seems to get a lot of press as well and if it helps MPG I will probably look at that option. Looking for info on brands that work well to - tried and true stuff.

Thanks Tang!

· Premium Member
7,658 Posts
CTB said:
The Air intake seems to get a lot of press as well and if it helps MPG I will probably look at that option. Looking for info on brands that work well to - tried and true stuff.

Thanks Tang!
No probs, CTB! I didn't notice it was your first post.... so on behalf of everyone else, welcome to The City!

The 2009+ V6's are a little different with the air intake. 2001-08 V6s had a nice CAI setup option with aftermarket stuff but with the new intake area, nothing yet (and I doubt anything will ever show).

If you want my $0.02... when I bought my car, the farther end of the rubber intake hose to the box wasn't attached but I never noticed it until about a month later. I made a 650 mile trip with three passengers and luggage and I got 26MPG out of the tank. 4x4 v6s are only rated for 23 on an empty vehicle. The closest I've ever gotten to 26 since having the hose put back on (March 2009) is 24.5 or so...

I think it might be time to remove the hose.

:beer:

· Registered
3,080 Posts
Performance and longevity are two values which have an adverse effect on each other.
Performance mods, besides their cost, require a much costlier and careful maintenance than a stock engine, plus decreasing its lifespan.If the car is used daily and extreme off-roading is not in the agenda, the best thing is keeping everything stock and follow the maintainance schedules.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
All great answers. Go with cheaper to expensive. Start with Cat-back exhaut, then intake, move onto tuner (XCAL 3) These are the 3 primary starter mods that can affect performance. If money is not an issue then get all three then move on to suspension, tires, and rims (for aesthetics). After that then the real money takers occur. Custom headers, free flow cats (not so expensive, but can add up since there are 3 on the Escape), Dyno tune, custom turbo or supercharger, custom cam, etc...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appriciate all the great advice. Lot's to think about. I am so far as pleased as punch over the truck. The 240 horses are the most I have had in a vehicle and I am really loving the confidence it gives me while driving in an urban environment.

· Registered
467 Posts
for the air intake, i got a k&n filter to improve airflow. Third gen has already cold air intake so i dont think we need somethings else there.

I you look closely, you'll notice that the air inlet is in the front so it takes air from the exterior of the engine compartment. That is cold air intake....

· Registered
13,728 Posts
gbrown69 said:
for the air intake, i got a k&n filter to improve airflow. Third gen has already cold air intake so i dont think we need somethings else there.

I you look closely, you'll notice that the air inlet is in the front so it takes air from the exterior of the engine compartment. That is cold air intake....

That is a nice explanatory photo.
Thanks. :thumb:

· Registered
3,080 Posts
oskerb said:
All great answers. Go with cheaper to expensive. Start with Cat-back exhaut, then intake, move onto tuner (XCAL 3) These are the 3 primary starter mods that can affect performance. If money is not an issue then get all three then move on to suspension, tires, and rims (for aesthetics). After that then the real money takers occur. Custom headers, free flow cats (not so expensive, but can add up since there are 3 on the Escape), Dyno tune, custom turbo or supercharger, custom cam, etc...
Gee!!!Ouch!
Are Bentley turbo's that cheap in Iraq?
:beer: :beer: :beer:

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is a good price for this filter? Looks like around $50-$55 is the best price.

gbrown69 said:

· Registered
3,080 Posts
skareb said:
what did you notice with the k&n. I am eally thinking of buying one butwould like to know if it makes a difference in gas milage and performnce
In itself the filter does not improve anything.They are mainly recomended for engines which have other mods as well.Changing the Ford filter more frequently is not only better for the engine but cheaper too.
KNs are great but need oil to perform and carefull attention.If left unattended the oil mixed with the dust and dirt makes a glueish mesh...

· Registered
3 Posts
No probs, CTB! I didn't notice it was your first post.... so on behalf of everyone else, welcome to The City!

The 2009+ V6's are a little different with the air intake. 2001-08 V6s had a nice CAI setup option with aftermarket stuff but with the new intake area, nothing yet (and I doubt anything will ever show).

If you want my $0.02... when I bought my car, the farther end of the rubber intake hose to the box wasn't attached but I never noticed it until about a month later. I made a 650 mile trip with three passengers and luggage and I got 26MPG out of the tank. 4x4 v6s are only rated for 23 on an empty vehicle. The closest I've ever gotten to 26 since having the hose put back on (March 2009) is 24.5 or so...

I think it might be time to remove the hose.

🍺
What huse is it that you are talking about?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.