Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Repaired Escape (Rear ended an HHR)

New Escape

Anyone else think the repair job is bad and things are just skewed???

To me and my husband it looks like the front end on ours is lower and well squished together....and now more resembles a Taurus X.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
The bottom picture is of an 09 Escape. You can't "squish" things together as plastic bits have to fit over metal brackets. The panel gaps look okay to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I cant see anything wrong either, mind you the pics are dark to me. But all seems good. And as squishy said, its going to fit or not fit really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you look at the gap between the bottom of the grill and the top of the bumper on the new Escape and our Escape has no gap. Also I need to put a side profile of the front up because the grill is sunken in and does not meet flush with the front edge of the hood.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice Escape.

The insurance company should repair the vehicle to "new" condition. If you are not satisfied let them know. I went back 3 times to get moisture out of the headlight after the repair on the Buick.

Did they repair the old bumper or replace it all together? If repaired there may be slight gap differences with these plastic bumpers. I'm only speaking from the experience of my car repairs.

My .02.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I am waiting on our 08 Tribute to be repaired. My wife had the Tribute kiss the backend of a guy that cut her off on the freeway, then promptly slammed on his brakes! :wacko: Bang! :doh:

Yours needs to go back for adjustment, until you are satisfied. And like posted above, the front spoiler is different from one year to the next. :thumb: They could have used a reconditioned part for the painted areas. In other words, a junk yard recycle. Not bad, but I would think you should get new. It's still a new truck!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Colleen said:
Squishy, how can you tell? :shrug:
My magic eyes. :lol:

There's a different air dam on the bottom of the front bumper. The 09s have a larger one, which makes the entire front look a bit bigger.

08ESCAPER said:
If you look at the gap between the bottom of the grill and the top of the bumper on the new Escape and our Escape has no gap. Also I need to put a side profile of the front up because the grill is sunken in and does not meet flush with the front edge of the hood.
The grille may be the only thing out of whack then, and throwing off the look of everything else. Otherwise, the bumper cover would not sit flush with the headlights nor the fenders. The top radiator support may still be bent, or they could have used a poor quality aftermarket grille. This is allowed in most contracts, and you can be charged a betterment fee for requesting OEM parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to my paperwork American Family used all new OEM body parts including: bumper support, bumper cover, grill, headlights, and hood. Total cost of repairs was $8,850 so they shelled out a good amount of money. I did a further inspection at a local dealer and body shop today and it appears the the upper and lower core supports were not pulled out enough. It also looks to be sitting lower in the front now. Today I parked it next to an 08 XLT just like mine and took about 50 pictures. I'll try to get you more pictures posted that show my point better. The shop that it was repaired at told me "We did not have another Escape to go off of but I think we got it right." I thought frame straightening was laser guided these days. Am I wrong to say I don't want the first shop to touch it anymore?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
08ESCAPER said:
According to my paperwork American Family used all new OEM body parts including: bumper support, bumper cover, grill, headlights, and hood. Total cost of repairs was $8,850 so they shelled out a good amount of money. I did a further inspection at a local dealer and body shop today and it appears the the upper and lower core supports were not pulled out enough. It also looks to be sitting lower in the front now. Today I parked it next to an 08 XLT just like mine and took about 50 pictures. I'll try to get you more pictures posted that show my point better. The shop that it was repaired at told me "We did not have another Escape to go off of but I think we got it right." I thought frame straightening was laser guided these days. Am I wrong to say I don't want the first shop to touch it anymore?
If they spent that much money, there must have been a whole world of uni-body flex as a result of the collision. I think that they need to make it good, or pay someone that will make it the way God and the Ford Motor Company intended. If there is any difference in the shape form what was designed indicates to me a possible flaw that they are not addressing and it maybe unsafe as a result. Not trying to scare you, but I sure would have the insurance adjuster check it out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
imo i think the 2 pics dont look that bad. they are at diff angles so things may look off or squished

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Three pictures just focused on the passengers side headlight fitment. Drivers side just as bad.
Large gap between top of headlight and fender:

Top of grille and headlight don't match up:

Fender and bumper don't line up:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Ah, now I see the problems. Looks like they didn't pull the front back into spec.

Ask your insurance company if there is a Ford dealership nearby with a body shop, or if you can use whichever body shop does all the work for your local dealer.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
That's just being sloppy. Not sure that it's so great a job cosmetically. And laser aligned? I don't think so......!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the help and advice guys. The Ford dealer that I bought it at won't measure it up for me without paying them $100. No other body shop wants to touch it. I'm starting to think they are all crooks around here. Same answer at every place "without having another Escape to look off of it looks fine to me." It also looks like the new paint has "orange peel" and the shop told me "orange peel is a good thing because you have extra paint on it and since every time you wash it you take off a small amount of paint it will clear up eventually."

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
08ESCAPER said:
Thanks for the help and advice guys. The Ford dealer that I bought it at won't measure it up for me without paying them $100. No other body shop wants to touch it. I'm starting to think they are all crooks around here. Same answer at every place "without having another Escape to look off of it looks fine to me." It also looks like the new paint has "orange peel" and the shop told me "orange peel is a good thing because you have extra paint on it and since every time you wash it you take off a small amount of paint it will clear up eventually."
Orange peel is never a good thing. Especially if you care about the looks of your car! D'uh!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts