Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a poll awhile back to help me decide. I think the black/smoke colors stick out too much on really light paint. I decided with a clear AVS shield from Autoanything. It was $60 shipped. It takes some getting used to -- as I've always had smoked shields (but also always had dark paint). The Mariner itself isn't clean, but here are the pics:

Looks kind of odd coming from front angle (sides stick up far):

Overall, I'm please with my decision. I really didn't want one, but I kept getting too many rock chips.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colleen said:
H4XOR said:
I like it, clean look.
I agree. :thumb: I was wondering what the clear would look like. Still debating whether or not to get a shield on mine.
Thanks. I think a smoked one would look good on yours -- since you have smoked side window deflectors. If I had them, or a smoked moonroof deflector, I would have gotten smoked. I haven't found/seen a clear moonroof deflector (but haven't looked that hard).

·
Registered
47 Posts
That'd be neat if you could get them all clear.. The only thing I'd look out for then perhaps is discoloration, might be more noticeable with more clear pieces everywhere to compare to. I'd hope they wouldn't discolor at all.. but you never know.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Probably not any more than a dark one. I plan to keep it clean and a good sealant on it. I guess time will tell. This is an experiment. I hope it doesn't yellow over time. I've seen some really old smoked ones -- which turn purplish over time (like the old, cheap tint).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking it might yellow after a while.. what kind of sealant are you going to put on it to keep it from discoloring? I might want to look into this as I just added all kinds of plastic to the exterior of my Escape.. gotta block those UV rays!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most any sealant you put on your paint will work. I use Duragloss 105 for this. Megs NXT 2.0 should also work fine -- but won't last as long. Megs PlastX would also work, and according to their website, it also adds protection (something I didn't know):

PlastX...remove light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. Special highly water resistant polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer.

Many also use 303.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, Collinite IW 845 will also work. I just used it last night as a matter of fact. It's a very durable wax.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.