Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on adding a pinstripe to my Escape. I'm probably going with a twin stripe that is dark blue, to match the Ford Blue Oval color.

Does anyone else have a pinstripe? Did the dealer paint it on?

IMHO the Escape needs a pinstripe to add some definition, at least on my silver Escape that seems plain.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a couple of pics of the completed stripe. The second pic is a custom design I asked for. It is supposed to look like an oscilliscope waveform, trying to keep up the ham radio theme. I consider it a cheap mod. $100.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
That is classy. Well done.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you get a side shot.
It is hard to take a good picture of a silver car from the side. There is always part of the image that gets blown-out regardless of the lighting. Here is one that I took tonight at sunset. Hopefully you can see the whole stripe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is painted on.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Looks good! In fact just today I saw a med/dark Blue 08-09 Escape with a White pinstripe that I had to rubber neck to get a longer glance at! Wonder why stiping is not done at the factory anymore like it used to.

I have to agree with 2010Escape also, the door moldings are about a $100, slightly less I think, mode that helps break up the side, but not the color, and it's dual purpose. If you park next to people ;) I usualy don't.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
2010Escape said:
I agree so I purchased body side moldings. I would check car domain or google images for examples.
Worth every penny!

I don't think enough people in the past decade or so cared for the pinstripe, maybe too 70's looking for them?

I also remember a particular 1977 Ford Granada my mother had. The pinstripe was applied to the driverside, but not the passenger side :confused: Same for the chrome wheel lip openings, and the rub strip down the side. :shock: :wacko:
I was in the Army and she and my brother bought the car, neither one noticed that the right side was without those decor items. When I came home from serving, I noticed it before I got into the car the first time... :doh:

Knowing that, maybe people defaulted to error minimalization: it's one less thing for the factory to screwup! :lol:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wonder why stiping is not done at the factory anymore like it used to.
Evidently Lexus and Mercedes are the only ones that do pinstriping at the factory. Their pinstripes are under the clearcoat layer, so it's not something you could remove. The guy that did my pinstripes also does them for dealers, then the dealers mark that up. I think, for that very reason, I wouldn't buy a pinstriped car from a dealer.

My pinstripe guy told me about the local cadillac dealer that put a red and white vinyl pinstripe, with a Double-T logo, on a Caddy and sold it as a "Texas Tech" package for an additional $400 (I'm in Lubbock, TX). Knowing how little a pinstripe costs, it is pretty funny (sad) what the dealers will do to squeeze a bit extra out of each customer.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've never been a fan of pin stripes on modern cars. However, since it's painted..... :yahoo: . Looks great. I think you got a good deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts