Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wifey wants a pocket sized Camcorder for Christmas, for a few $ more you can get HD, so I'm looking to get one of these. So far I've found: Flip, Kodak, & Creative in the $150 range.

Flip UltraHD: pros- AA batt (easy to replace on the go), 8GB int mem.
cons- no extra mem, but 8Gb=2hrs, only records 720p, no SD option, no still camera

Kodack Zi8: pros, 1080p (overkill?) 720p 30 & 60 fps, SD, & still camera, ext mic jack (will I ever use?!), near/far focus switch, image stability, 4x digital zoom
cons- liion batt, but is cheap & easy to swap out, req SDHC cards (extra $ upfront)

Creative Vado: pros- 720p/30fps & SD, supposedly better video quality than Flip, wide angle lens,
cons- bad reviews on early versions, also 8GB interal mem (again should be enough for my needs)

I'm kinda leaning toward the Kodak, but the vado sounds good too. Wish the Flip did still pictures & SD recordings.

Any suggestions? Any I missed to add to the confusion?

Thanks again group!

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I recently saw reviews of these three recorders on G4tv's Attack of the Show. In terms of video quality, they liked the Mino best but it was the most expensive of the three. Second, they liked the Vado. It had good image quality and was less expensive than the Mino. They were disappointed in the Kodak. Here are links to the reviews:

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/gadgetpr0n/69138/Flip-MinoHD-Camcorder-Review.html

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/gadgetpr0n/69086/Creative-Vado-HD-Pocket-Camcorder-Review.html

http://g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/gadgetpr0n/69051/Kodak-Zi8-Pocket-Camera-Review.html

At the end of the Mino review they summarize the results. If you can get a good deal on the Mino, I'd say go for that one based on these reviews.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm not so sure these things are ready for prime time. Then again, it's your wife's wish...

I beleive in the "buy as much technology as you can economically afford" thought. That being said, I'd go for the Kodak, but didn't read the test on the camcorder. I have still cameras for that duty. Do you? Don't they have a video capability? Mine do, not sure how good they are as I have only made a few movies...and that was a couple years ago. Those vids were okay, not wonderful. Are these newer camcorders significantly better than a still camera doing video duty?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jonas1022 said:
I'm not so sure these things are ready for prime time. Then again, it's your wife's wish...

I beleive in the "buy as much technology as you can economically afford" thought. That being said, I'd go for the Kodak, but didn't read the test on the camcorder. I have still cameras for that duty. Do you? Don't they have a video capability? Mine do, not sure how good they are as I have only made a few movies...and that was a couple years ago. Those vids were okay, not wonderful. Are these newer camcorders significantly better than a still camera doing video duty?
Thanks for the links RobtRoma, I forgot all about TechTV (better in my opnion than G4), I did find Cnet reviews.
Showd all the info plus several youtube comparrisons and she decided on the Flip ultraHD. I think it'll be fine. the Kodak has lot's of whistles, but apparently doesn't blow them well, sacrafices video quality. The feature I like best is the battery pack is esscentally 2 AA batt's, so if you're out & it dies, simple to pop in 2 AA's and keep going, altho w/ only internal mem you can only record for 2hrs before you gotta dump it to a PC anyway.

jonas1022 I do have a still camera, a really nice one, a nikon D70, but it's still only, no video. I have a mini DV camcorder, while by no means huge, it's not poping ioto a purse or pocket anytime soon either. I also have a Nikon S6, slim camera, but not impressed with the picture or video quality, and can't find the CD to re-install the instant wi-fi transfer again :(

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts