Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my first set of Polk Audio's MM571 Series speakers, has anyone had any experience with them before? How do they Sound? How do the compare to the factory speakers? Are they worth the mone?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
krider450 said:
I ordered my first set of Polk Audio's MM571 Series speakers, has anyone had any experience with them before? How do they Sound? How do the compare to the factory speakers? Are they worth the mone?
Well you already ordered them so at this point you're the guinea pig and you can tell us. But as it sits, the MM's I've heard are good on added amplifier power, in well deadened/sealed doors. They are going to be less efficient than stock so the factory HU will probably not be a good idea. Once powered up decently, they should sound pretty good. Our doors do not work very well with coaxial speakers because those tweeters are behind thick plastic, and most of their high frequency response is either dumped into the door and reflected, or into your knees and absorbed. That's pretty much all coaxials though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well thanks for the info i ordered them last april lol then i kinda got sidetracked with money so i never bought the second set. Wat would u say is a good speaker for our vehicles?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
krider450 said:
well thanks for the info i ordered them last april lol then i kinda got sidetracked with money so i never bought the second set. Wat would u say is a good speaker for our vehicles?
Well that's not an easy thing to say because there are literally hundreds of brands, and many variables in the equation. Personal preference comes into play, your level of door deadening/sealing, how much power you have, going active or passive, having time alignment or not, having processing ability for EQ or not, going point-source (coaxial) or separate (like tweets in the A-pillar or door sill.)

I mean for me personally, I'm running H-Audio midbass/midrange drivers in the door, coupled with the ring-radiator tweeters from the Alpine SPX-17PRO component set, running active off an eXcelon X4R amp w/ DSP onboard. But my doors are heavily deadened and sealed, and I've got control over things like time alignment with the DSP features of the amp.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I will also throw in that a decent component set up front will be so much better than a replacement 5x7 set off of the HU power. The panels just do not sound good with 5x7 speakers. They are low in the door and like 4th pointed out, the sound gets deflected into the panel trim. I tried Infinity replacements, then JL Audio 5x7 unpowered. Then I decided to get components and power them. I am running passive. I didn't believe the hype about deadening until I did the entire vehicle. I did it piece by piece starting with the 4 doors, then rear cargo, then floor... The doors alone make a HUGE difference. You will need power to get any real sound out of un-deadened doors and un-powered speakers. It is what it is....

But for short money you can simply replace the fronts, install a LOC, grab a 4-channel amp, power the fronts and a sub in the back while keeping the stock HU. Or start with a nice HU and deaden. Then upgrade the speakers/power as you go. Depends on funds..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts