Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Buying online: prefered checkout? PayPal, Google, Other?

• PayPal

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Google Checkout

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only use 'real' checkouts/carts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care, just give me best price

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting ready to launch a new webstore. The profit potential per item is good, but quanitiy sold will be low, thus a low monthly income. Tring to keep costs down by not having to pay for a merchant account; PayPal & Google are 'free' only charging a small per transaction fee. Amazon charges a larger fee.

So I'm asking opnions on here, if you were browing the net looking for a good deal on a ~$200+ item, and you found the best price on a site that only used PayPal and/or Google, would you shop there?
I can set up either PayPal only (simple, easy to use, flat rate shipping rates, no discount codes), Google Only (gets exact shipping rates, can add a 10% off coupon code for escape-city readers!), or a free shopping cart that allows either service to checkout (your choice) but I have to set shipping rates manualy, no option for discount codes.

I'll only keep you in suspence a short time, I should have inventory next week, a cart decision made, and will link the new website then!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
For what it's worth from a British member, I don't often shop on line, but do prefer to pay using postal orders (obtained from the local Royal Mail Post Office), and posting them to the merchant.
Yep its a lot slower than using Paypal etc, but my reasons are as follows...

1, Neither myself, or my wife possess any form of credit / debit cards (which is our lifestyle choice, means that we only get what we can afford, so we have no debt whatsover..)
2, it supports our villagePost Office, which is under the threat of closure..

However, TBH I look for internet shops that allow Paypal, or indeed accept cheques etc via post.

Must admit, I've never heard of the Google checkout, and Paypal is well known, and in the main trusted.

Good look with the venture :thumb:

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I prefer a real cart/checkout that takes credit cards. I hate going through PayPal. I'll only do it if I absolutely have to...

·
Registered
781 Posts
When I bought my stereo stuff, I bought most of it on ebay, so I could get Bing cashback. On my HU, I saved ~$100 off most stores and an additional $50 in cashback.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I most often will call land line and ask for the on line price. Then I'll give them my card number :shades:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
For what it's worth if I want the item I'll use any of the above. I have a PayPal account and like it but I'll use any method that will take my credit card and is widely used and trustworthy.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I've been using Paypal for years, including sending cash overseas to Britian from one personal acct. to another and for buying off Ebay, etc. I would definitely use them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Impressive. I've used PP for years too, pretty new to Google. I just can't afford to go with a 'real' checkout at first, they kind where you enter the CC# directly into. They require you to process the payment, which requires a merchant account, which is $30-$50/mo+ I'll looking to only make that much in profit...
I've done money orders in the past. Popular for out of the country orders, but I'd rather not ship outside the USA, it's a PITA, customs, delays, etc. Besides if it's 120VAC (I know it's a DC transformer) how many other places use US style plugs?

So I may go with Just PP, or the free cart that lets the user choose PP or Google.

So far this is my design:
PayPal only: http://www.drivewaywarning.com/
Site cart lets you choose PP/Google: http://www.drivewaywarning.com/index2.htm

Let me know what you think. layout, looks, mods, etc...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I like the voiceover guy, sounds a little like the Movie Trailer guy.

Site looks good!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
I really like and trust PayPal!! I've never had a problem with PP and they seem to have your back in case something goes wrong! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I use PP extensively. I've gotten 90% of the parts for the Barge using it. That's parts that range from $2 to over $2,000. Never any problem with transactions. Never tried google though.

The site looks cool. If I had a driveway long enuff, I'd purchase the product. :thumb:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies & help... looks like I might just do PP only, drop the site's cart. PP = Easy setup, just have to make a shipping chart. Google gets realtime rates, and you can use a coupon like "escapecity" for 10% off your order! (For real, it works, try it!)

So not to leave any one out, here's a Google Checkout only setup: http://www.drivewaywarning.com/index3.htm

Thanks again folks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts