Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tuned up my 2005 Escape 2.3L and gapped the NGK Iridium plugs I bought to .055 as my Ford SM says .052-.056. I have a ScanGauge and I noticed my mileage went down after the tuneup, especially on the highway. I checked the gap on the plugs I took out and they were gapped to .050. I pulled my new plugs out and gapped them down to .045 and mileage went up better than before the tuneup. The following numbers are overall, highway/city combined but mostly highway as my daily commute is 23 miles:

Before tune-up = 25.5 MPG
After tune-up = 24 MPG
After regap = 27.5 MPG

You might try this on your Escape if you are looking for more MPG - YMMV of course but at least it's free.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Interesting, I wonder if this would apply to the 3L V6?
YMMV = ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

They were gapped way down, like .035 as I recall. I don't trust any plug that is pre-gapped anyway. I always check the gap no matter what.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i put in iridium plugs last weekend, and i did the same as i did when i bought the escape.. just put them in. i didnt gap them. i trusted the manufacturer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The center electrodes are very, very thin so you don't want to pry against it to widen the gap. If you make all your adjustments on the negative electrode only you will be fine. I have installed several sets of these plugs in various Fords over the years and I have never had a problem regapping them.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Some plugs fire differently and shouldn't be gapped to OEM specs, or at least that was the impression I got from GM. Emails from them have stated that the older RapidFire plugs were specially gapped from the factory and should not be adjusted, but the redesigned RapidFire plugs should be gapped to OEM specs. :shrug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.