Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '09 Escape XLT from the lot. I discovered after I bought my new vehicle that there is a wet trunk option for it. Unfortunately, the parts to put it together will cost about $400-500. Anyone have any ideas on how to create my own storage space by removing the piece of plastic that resides there now?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I dunno what the non-wet trunk ones are like under the carpet, but I would guess the same minus the wet trunk. Anyhow, under the carpet, the whole cargo area is just a big ole plastic sort of a tray that is bolted down. Best bet would be just to wait for one to appear in a junkyard or something. Should be an easy swap.

That said, there really isnt anything all that great about it. I thought the whole wet trunk thing sounded pretty good on paper, but in actuality, it's just a small hidden compartment to keep some small odds and ends and that is about it. It's really not that big at all, and calling it a wet trunk is kind of dumb too as it has no drain holes, nor is the lid even sealed in any sort of way. It's pretty much just a plastic glove box for the cargo floor. heh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally did something with my trunk on thie beautiful Fourth of July. With a little help from my old man, I created a new under carpet box. Here are the pics:

Our Canvas:

Side Rails:

Box Prepped for Painting:

Painted Box and Rubber Mat:

Finished Product:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I suppose it's a wet trunk meaning that you can store wet boots and outside gear without the concern that the vehicle will be damaged by the water laying on the painted surface and "locked" under the carpet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice mod! I had the same dilemma... my solution was to buy just the bottom piece (~$100-$150) and improve the top. The wet trunk base made a great platform for the removable internal bike rack I built with a 2x4 and some fork mounts.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My '09 Escape also has the plastic cover in place of the wet trunk. I looked at the wet trunk on an Escape at the dealer and after learning what it would cost for the parts, I decided not to buy it.

If I want to find the wet trunk pieces in a junk yard, what model year Escape/Mariner/Tribune would I be looking for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
kkreit01 said:
2008+. Earlier years had a "Cargo Convenience Package" -- which may also fit, but it's not wet.
Thanks kkreit01. You've got me thining about pre-2008 models and the Cargo Convience Package. I may just have to wonder in to a junk yard and see what I can find out.

Can anyone here with a pre-2008 Escape/Mariner describe the cargo carrier?

·
Registered
8 Posts
memnon79 said:
Finally did something with my trunk on thie beautiful Fourth of July. With a little help from my old man, I created a new under carpet box. Here are the pics:
very nice - is that just hinged plywood for the lid?

what brand of cargo tray is that that folds up with the lid so easily?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lickitysplit said:
Nice mod! I had the same dilemma... my solution was to buy just the bottom piece (~$100-$150) and improve the top. The wet trunk base made a great platform for the removable internal bike rack I built with a 2x4 and some fork mounts.
Pics of the bike rack? Been wondering if its possible to do something like that in my E...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.