Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to install this product (Link: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-PI20 ... B000WSF1YU) into my Escape so that I have the ability to have a plug in power outlet. I have looked for instructions to do this on the site, but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems to me that I may be able to connect this to some of the wires w/in the dash?

Please help!

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So you want to hard wire it in right? If so then. looks,to me that all you need to is wire it to a 12 volt line. Presumably the cigarette lighter line would be best. Not hard to but running the cableto where you want it will be a challenge

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - do you know where to find the cigarette lighter line? I don't know if I want to wire it to the the front or back lighter outlet.

FYI - I have a 2009 Escape XLT

·
Registered
836 Posts
Not sure about the 2009, but the 2010 lighter adaptors both are constant 12v. Even with the key removed there is constant power to both. That means power to that converter will always be on. Are you just looking for a cleaner install look as opposed to a plug-in?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the cigarette lighter cut off with the ignition? It does on mine so I would assume the wire supplying power does as well.

This can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you want to use the inverter, I'd like the peace of mind of it cutting off when not in use, but at the same time, it's annoying to have the key on all the time to power something, say charging my phone, therefore draining power in other ways.

On my escape the 12v power plug stays active all the time. I use it when I just want power and don't want the key on. I've heard it's recommended not to use the cigarette lighter plug for power applications, (I think it has a 15 amp fuse, the 12v power plug has a 20 amp.) I do use it anyway sometimes, but only for low power devices.

EDIT: Ha ha, sinister mob beat me to it and corrected me. :lol:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
jStape said:
Thanks - do you know where to find the cigarette lighter line? I don't know if I want to wire it to the the front or back lighter outlet.

FYI - I have a 2009 Escape XLT
You'll find it behind the cigarette lighter is self. That would be easy for you to patch in there or trace as far back as you want, to cut and splice. Remember that is a 12V CONSTANT so there will always be power going to that line.

All you need to do is, thumb the cigarette lighter hole with your thumb and get a good grip with your other hand and give a nice tug straight out. The best thing to do is remove the radio and AC dash. Not hard to do. Pretty much same process as the cigarette lighter as in all you have to do is get a good grip and the pull staright out on the AC vents. This will uncover the bolts to the radio DASH.

Then you can run cable where you want, wont be easy but easier than not removing all that stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts