Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Escape 2.0L 4-cyl w manual transmission. 65k miles. Good to very-good condition.

I have a bad power steering leak. It appears to be coming from the area of an electrical connector on the left side (driver's side) of the power steering pump, so I guess a pressure switch is leaking. Fluid squirts from there when the steering wheel is turned (note: the leak isn't a hose). The Chilton manual wasn't much help: it mentions a pressure switch for the V6 but no mention of one for the I-4.
Any suggestions? ... Thanks.

Rather than driving the car & risking burning up the pump, I had it towed to a garage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update, in case someone else has the same problem w their 2.0L 4-cyl.

The power steering pressure sensor failed: it's located on the p/s pump.
The repair shop will be installing a replacement today. When I get the car back, I'm going to take a closer look to determine whether or not I could've done the repair myself (had the leak occurred at a more opportune time & place). The pressure switch is located in a tight spot.

V6 Note: The Chilton manual mentions a pressure switch for the V6 & the photo shows that it's located on the end of some tubing. I don't know if the V6 has a second pressure switch located directly on the pump.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the car back yesterday. The p/s pressure switch had a bad leak. It was a sudden occurrance - fluid was squirting out the sensor whenever the wheels were turned. A new pressure switch was installed & Mercon ATF was added (they had some on hand). The steering felt good when I drove it home from their shop, but it developed the dreaded p/s whine when I pulled into my driveway. I took it for a spin last night & the whine continued, so I parked it until I could investigate. Today I checked the steering - no noise. I went ahead & proceeded as if bleeding air out of the system by driving the car onto cardboard then turning the wheels left & right a few times - no noise & it turned smooth (two pieces of cardboard under each wheel helps them turn easier; a folded tarp works too).

Darden's Garage in SW Houston kinda near the dome did the repair at a reasonable cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts