Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Escape 2.0L 4-cyl w manual transmission. 65k miles. Good to very-good condition.

I have a bad power steering leak. It appears to be coming from the area of an electrical connector on the left side (driver's side) of the power steering pump, so I guess a pressure switch is leaking. Fluid squirts from there when the steering wheel is turned (note: the leak isn't a hose). The Chilton manual wasn't much help: it mentions a pressure switch for the V6 but no mention of one for the I-4.
Any suggestions? ... Thanks.

Rather than driving the car & risking burning up the pump, I had it towed to a garage.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update, in case someone else has the same problem w their 2.0L 4-cyl.

The power steering pressure sensor failed: it's located on the p/s pump.
The repair shop will be installing a replacement today. When I get the car back, I'm going to take a closer look to determine whether or not I could've done the repair myself (had the leak occurred at a more opportune time & place). The pressure switch is located in a tight spot.

V6 Note: The Chilton manual mentions a pressure switch for the V6 & the photo shows that it's located on the end of some tubing. I don't know if the V6 has a second pressure switch located directly on the pump.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the car back yesterday. The p/s pressure switch had a bad leak. It was a sudden occurrance - fluid was squirting out the sensor whenever the wheels were turned. A new pressure switch was installed & Mercon ATF was added (they had some on hand). The steering felt good when I drove it home from their shop, but it developed the dreaded p/s whine when I pulled into my driveway. I took it for a spin last night & the whine continued, so I parked it until I could investigate. Today I checked the steering - no noise. I went ahead & proceeded as if bleeding air out of the system by driving the car onto cardboard then turning the wheels left & right a few times - no noise & it turned smooth (two pieces of cardboard under each wheel helps them turn easier; a folded tarp works too).

Darden's Garage in SW Houston kinda near the dome did the repair at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the car back yesterday. The p/s pressure switch had a bad leak. It was a sudden occurrance - fluid was squirting out the sensor whenever the wheels were turned. A new pressure switch was installed & Mercon ATF was added (they had some on hand). The steering felt good when I drove it home from their shop, but it developed the dreaded p/s whine when I pulled into my driveway. I took it for a spin last night & the whine continued, so I parked it until I could investigate. Today I checked the steering - no noise. I went ahead & proceeded as if bleeding air out of the system by driving the car onto cardboard then turning the wheels left & right a few times - no noise & it turned smooth (two pieces of cardboard under each wheel helps them turn easier; a folded tarp works too).

Darden's Garage in SW Houston kinda near the dome did the repair at a reasonable cost.
It's a long shot but I'm hoping for a response. I have the exact same issue with the exact same vehicle. I've looked all over the internet and only V6 issues were discovered.

Did you determine that you could have swapped the part yourself? I see that it's a tight space but is there anything special that is required to do the swap?

I hope to receive a response as this particular Escape does not appear anywhere on the internet.

Regards,

Devin

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi , last post 2009 , look here look familiar? , supposedly for a 2L scape

I gather it might be #14 which is not listed though , good luck .

Added , also here

Looks like a large open ender or ring spanner would do it , or a socket if it fits over the top , don't forget some thread tape .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.